Author Topic: 1970 GT500 "reflective blue" side decals (small production run)  (Read 2163 times)

Offline adelatoa

Hello, my name is Abel and this is my first post on the SAAC forum. I am helping my boss restore his 1970 GT500 Shelby Cobra Fastback. We are looking at the availability of parts for the restoration and immediately we came upon a part that is not in stock....the side decals. I have spoken to Terry over a Tony D. Branda and they only have one set which are an actual original(not reproductions) set of decals but are missing the rear quarter panels but they won't sell as they want to keep for future reference of the material qualities. Terry was giving me an option of going with a reproduction that is in "royal" blue and not the original "reflective" blue.  I know that is not an option for my boss as he wants as close to original reproductions.  Terry then mentioned that the reflective blue is possible but it is problem is that they cannot make an investment on a roll of the original reflective blue because its in the realm of around $3000 dollars.

So out of that roll 5-6 kits are possible and a group buy came to the table as an idea. Toney Branda would be willing to make a small production run is if we can get 4 or more in a "group buy" interested in pre-ordering these GT500 reflective blue reproductions. The ball park cost is between $400-$600 per set and of course details are to follow on exact cost per set.

For the time being I wanted to get the ball rolling to see if anyone is interested and specific numbers are being figured out.

Keep in mind that all of the reproduction decals are Carroll Shelby license and concours correct.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 GT500 "reflective blue" side decals (small production run)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 07:18:49 PM »
Will you be reproducing the fastback/sportroof style or the convertible?

I know Jeff at R & M was looking at reproducing the Blue stripes last year since he does the other colors.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline adelatoa

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:31:31 PM »
Will you be reproducing the fastback/sportroof style or the convertible?

I know Jeff at R & M was looking at reproducing the Blue stripes last year since he does the other colors.

I am looking into reproducing the "reflective blue" stripes on the fastback GT500. I believe we can get sets for both the GT300 and GT500.  Is R&M the same folks that reproduce the kits that are being sold at Tony Branda(Cobranda.com)?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 03:44:44 PM »
I am looking into reproducing the "reflective blue" stripes on the fastback GT500. I believe we can get sets for both the GT300 and GT500.  Is R&M the same folks that reproduce the kits that are being sold at Tony Branda(Cobranda.com)?
Jeff, at R+A Motorsports is the one that makes the stripe kits up for Tony Branda. I have worked with Jeff on the stripe kits so that they were the most authentic as possible and the situation with the stripe material is it has to be purchased in a bulk amount from 3M to get the correct Blue shade. The blue stripe is not used often on 69/70 Shelby's and the amount that has to be purchased would most likely never be used up even at the current nominal pricing . The only way a vendor would come out business wise is if a much larger amount would be charge to cover the extra expense of materials that would never be used up or used up over many years. If he ever makes up any correct blue sets they will be in fastback and convertible versions. FYI the convertible version is substantially different then a fastback version . Bob   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 06:43:37 PM »
Maybe to make it easier he could just leave the 1/4 stripe long and supply a template to cut for vert or fastback
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 07:19:48 PM »
Maybe to make it easier he could just leave the 1/4 stripe long and supply a template to cut for vert or fastback
Tim, I think the 69/70 stripe kits are the hardest to do . Stretching the stripe around a convert side scoop is no fun. I think Jeff would rather cut them to the body style instead of having a customer do it and risk mis cutting a stripe. Less of a customer compliant issue I think.  He also leaves extra length to properly wrap around edges and trim which is good for that very same reason. Jeff also includes a diagram in the stripe kit that shows how the convertible stripe kit should be applied to look correct. If you want it to look original don't forget to take a inch paint brush dipped in yellow contact cement /weatherstrip adhesive and smear it liberally on the ending edges of the tape in all places visible in the door jam area. This is supposed to keep the short wrapped around edges from peeling up. Not really pebble beach but the way it was done at the factory, if that is the look you are going for.  ;)  Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby