1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

Horns sound terrible

(1/2) > >>

Building 3:
I have been having a problem with the sound of the horns on my 1966 Metuchen Mustang. If both horns are connected the sound is a terrible discordant noise, more like a squawk. if I disconnect the HI horn, the LO note horn sound fine, likewise, if I disconnect the LO horn, the HI horn sounds as it should. All parts are original to the car: horns, wiring, steering column, steering wheel, horn button etc.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what is the problem and how to fix it?  Thanks

carlite65:
start at the horn. clean all connectors clear back to the st. wheel you are losing voltage from bad connections. also there is a screw on the back for tone adjustments.

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: Building 3 on April 03, 2024, 04:21:31 PM ---I have been having a problem with the sound of the horns on my 1966 Metuchen Mustang. If both horns are connected the sound is a terrible discordant noise, more like a squawk. if I disconnect the HI horn, the LO note horn sound fine, likewise, if I disconnect the LO horn, the HI horn sounds as it should. All parts are original to the car: horns, wiring, steering column, steering wheel, horn button etc.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what is the problem and how to fix it?  Thanks

--- End quote ---
Is your spund "test" using just the battery, or have you got the same lousy sounds with the engine running (that's usually gives a higher voltage to the system)? And as stated above, clean up the connections. I recommend using a pencil type ink eraser on the spades connectors. That type of eraer is more abrasive. Also, the adjusting screw can be removed (sometimes). If you get it out, give a shot of WD-40 down the screw hole. That "may" help.
Jim

Building 3:
Thanks for those tips. The car was not running. I am in the process of getting the car ready after the winter hibernation. So, I will charge the battery up and get it started. if the horns don't sound correctly then I'll clean up those connectors.

carlite65:
try connecting the horns straight to the charged battery and see what you get. you can put a voltmeter in series with the connection to see what they draw.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version