Author Topic: A good definition of a "Survivor" car.  (Read 10707 times)

Offline ptosborn1111

Re: A good definition of a "Survivor" car.
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 02:08:29 PM »
Bob,
The idea of my being mislead was based on this pretense; I was told any parts that came off the car were coming with the car. The message was relayed "all original parts were with the car," exactly! When I got the car, the so claimed original parts were mostly there. As frequently happens (especially the BOSS 1s) the Autolite distributor was gone, the Autolite 4300d carb was gone (swapped for a Holly),  the ignition was changed to an MSD, and  headers were installed. We all know why these mods were made. The statement "SURVIVOR" was used frequently from the seller. I anticipate because it was for sale from original owner, low miles, all original sheet metal, original drive train, original space saver spare (correct paint marks still visible on wheel), original red air can black cap and all, original interior (immaculate for age), rev limiter still intact, carbon canister intact, on and on and on.
Yes I am disappointed to say the least, however the car is damn nice and is very presentable at a local car show. I believe in honesty and integrity! I was MISLEAD and lesson learned. I consider myself kind of a purist freak (not for all cars) and would like to believe in the SURVIVIOR definition with broader shoulders. However I understand why it does not.
The story has more leads and twists, to much for here but in essence I was MISLEAD to believe survivor before I really knew how it was really defined.
Thanks for the input.
65' Fastback (42k mile car) VIN 5F09A718971
A code 289/4 speed
Body 63A
Color K
Trim 26
Date 07S
DSO 41

71' Boss 351 (Grabber yellow, 2nd owner, 32k miles)
71' Boss 351 (Bright red, 2nd owner, 56k miles)
67' RS/SS 350 Camaro (Butternut yellow project)

priceless

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 02:28:27 PM »
The statement, "1 paint job" by itself, basically knocked it out of being a survivor car. IMO.

But, as you have seen here, there are several different people with several different personalities giving several different definitions of what "survivor" means in "their definition", So, whose wrong or whose right?

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 04:47:45 PM »
     Is there a period correct modified class ? Mods that were available in that time period, tri-y's, export braces, carbs/air cleaners.  Mostly engine compartment stuff that sort of stuff that the street racers would have done.  You know the type of mods that made these cars so popular.  Just curious.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 06:33:20 PM »
     Is there a period correct modified class ? Mods that were available in that time period, tri-y's, export braces, carbs/air cleaners.  Mostly engine compartment stuff that sort of stuff that the street racers would have done.  You know the type of mods that made these cars so popular.  Just curious.  Brian

Don't know of any club or organization doing that. Not sure how many ways we can slice all the possible classes before everyone leaves with the first place trophy.  Other than race car classes that some organizations have (such as the Competition classes at SAAC)

Of course the idea of original with period correct modifications was what Resto-Mods were originally suppose to be before that term (now copywritten) was in itself modified like the cars ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 09:58:48 PM »
MCA offers allot of classes but they can only carve out a limited number of possibilities just like any other organization. Currently there is no class just for the cars that aren't unrestored, are not restored and are not daily drivers.

I'm confused.  I thought there was a class specifically for unrestored Mustangs: Division III: URA-URD?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 10:39:30 PM »
I'm confused.  I thought there was a class specifically for unrestored Mustangs: Division III: URA-URD?

Sorry - Yes unrestored would fall into my description of "not restored" mentioned above ;)  Poorly worded I guess :( - changed the "and" to "or" in that post

Its the "partially unrestored" that some in MCA are attempting to find a new home for
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:48:03 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 11:42:14 PM »
SAAC has a DIV III for unrestored Shelby products.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

priceless

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 08:47:13 AM »
Yes, your exactly right: Division III; URA 1964 1/2-73, URB 1974-93, URC 1994-98, URD 1999-2004.

This has been updated to the 2014 version.

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 12:45:46 AM »
The statement, "1 paint job" by itself, basically knocked it out of being a survivor car. IMO.

But, as you have seen here, there are several different people with several different personalities giving several different definitions of what "survivor" means in "their definition", So, whose wrong or whose right?

Yeah, I agree... IMO, a repaint nullifies "survivorship" as it is a form of restoration.  You are restoring the paint to be like-new by replacing it completely with new paint (as opposed to a partial repaint out of necessity).

I just started taking my car to shows last season ~ it is a rough bugger, but I'm there for the fun of it.  People see it and the first thing they say about the car is "Original paint!  It's a survivor!"  I always make sure to tell them "No, it is just really old paint (having been in several accidents over the years), and only a survivor in the sense that its been through alot and is still running and driving." :-)
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

priceless

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 01:58:22 PM »
I just started taking my car to shows last season ~ it is a rough bugger, but I'm there for the fun of it.  People see it and the first thing they say about the car is "Original paint!  It's a survivor!"  I always make sure to tell them "No, it is just really old paint (having been in several accidents over the years), and only a survivor in the sense that its been through alot and is still running and driving." :-)
I don't want to veer off the subject here, but if you're talking about your 70 Eliminator, WOW, what a rare Cougar indeed!! I had a chance in 2004 to get "a-hold" of a 70 Eliminator, (351C 4-V) same color as yours, from this guy in his early 20's. He said his grandpa give it to him. He had trashed the HE** out of it. And I wanted that cat SO bad. I did manage to get his phone number. I kept bothering him for over a year with phone calls, then one day when I called, his roommate said he moved to Atlanta and had told his friend not to give anybody his number. Oh well, you know the rest of the story :(

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 05:32:28 PM »
I don't want to veer off the subject here, but if you're talking about your 70 Eliminator, WOW, what a rare Cougar indeed!! I had a chance in 2004 to get "a-hold" of a 70 Eliminator, (351C 4-V) same color as yours, from this guy in his early 20's. He said his grandpa give it to him. He had trashed the HE** out of it. And I wanted that cat SO bad. I did manage to get his phone number. I kept bothering him for over a year with phone calls, then one day when I called, his roommate said he moved to Atlanta and had told his friend not to give anybody his number. Oh well, you know the rest of the story :(

Yeah, "old stinky" as my wife and daughter refer to it.  "Hey!  I fixed all the fuel leaks, it's not stinky anymore... *sniff*sniff*  well, not as stinky as it was."  LOL!

Off Topic... Check over on MercuryCougar.net, or the ClassicCougarCommunity.com forums in the "for sale" sections.  I keep a monthly thread on Eliminator sales.  Haven't got it updated for Feb yet though (sorry!).
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

priceless

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 09:53:28 PM »
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. Although, I'm not in the market now to buy one ten years later, but always looking.

I remember offering him $2500 and he said he'd think about it, cause it did need some work, but thought it'd be cool to add it to my stable at that time.

Offline ptosborn1111

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 10:22:43 PM »
You wanta see survivor! I should post some pics of my Camaro! OH CRAP! Did I say Camaro on a MUSTANG site????????? :P
65' Fastback (42k mile car) VIN 5F09A718971
A code 289/4 speed
Body 63A
Color K
Trim 26
Date 07S
DSO 41

71' Boss 351 (Grabber yellow, 2nd owner, 32k miles)
71' Boss 351 (Bright red, 2nd owner, 56k miles)
67' RS/SS 350 Camaro (Butternut yellow project)