Author Topic: Fuel line clamps at fuel filter  (Read 3731 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Fuel line clamps at fuel filter
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 04:57:34 PM »
Jeff are you saying that the crimp band clamps are original as well?

Forgive me if I read the earlier posts incorrectly but thought the car in question had the 4300 and cast iron intake and not a late car or one that was altered in the recall. Not "saying" that the clamps were used but yes the banded crimp clamps were used originally from the engine plant on those J code cars as shown in the pictures of these unrestored cars.

Difficult to get good pictures since for Mustangs the air cleaner is always installed and in the way especially in a J code but the C codes were built along side at the same engine plant. Also so may, as part of regular maintenance, the fuel filters have been changed along with the clamps since few had the pliers and patience to remove and reinstall the band style. I know I didn't back in the 80's
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2021, 09:38:48 PM »
It appears there is another option with regard to these clamps and that's the tool used.

Did the installer use a tool with a center stud to keep the top of the clamp from pyramiding?
Or did the installer use a tool missing this center and the top becomes a pyramid shape? A pair of diagonal cutters also makes this shape.

Is this an installer preference, tool used or factory? Or just random?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 12:15:23 AM »
The "correct" tool (others are similar) from NPD for the band clamps -
https://www.npdlink.com/search/products?search_terms=934-1&top_parent=0&year=
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2021, 10:24:20 PM »
Forgive me if I read the earlier posts incorrectly but thought the car in question had the 4300 and cast iron intake and not a late car or one that was altered in the recall. Not "saying" that the clamps were used but yes the banded crimp clamps were used originally from the engine plant on those J code cars as shown in the pictures of these unrestored cars.

Difficult to get good pictures since for Mustangs the air cleaner is always installed and in the way especially in a J code but the C codes were built along side at the same engine plant. Also so may, as part of regular maintenance, the fuel filters have been changed along with the clamps since few had the pliers and patience to remove and reinstall the band style. I know I didn't back in the 80's

Jeff yes the car is a 12-02-67 GT350 that still has the original cast iron intake. Dang now that I finally changed out the clamps I discover that they are also incorrect. We will just say the first two times were for practice. LOL

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2021, 03:31:10 PM »
Did the installer use a tool with a center stud to keep the top of the clamp from pyramiding?
Or did the installer use a tool missing this center and the top becomes a pyramid shape? A pair of diagonal cutters also makes this shape.

Is this an installer preference, tool used or factory? Or just random?

Many of the reproduction clamps (not all ) over the years were made with a small divot where the small depth post (for lack of a better tool could be seen. That feature on the tool or some tools used, does not move as you tighten the clamp and don't recall seeing a tool where that depth section is adjustable

I think you will find that its a year by year thing and in my experience the divot is not visible on early cars and haven't looked at later cars to see if this changed in the very late 60's or even the early. Know a fair number of people, including myself, that removed the divots from the reproductions to get them to look more like originals in the past.

Also for the purpose of this thread notice that examples I posted do not have the divots in the top of the pinch area from the tool.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2021, 05:37:12 PM »
The dimple in the crimp clamp is not made by the tool but already made into the crimp clamp . The dimple is to strengthen that portion so that it does not have a tendency to bend up under the pressure of the crimp tool in the crimping process. The dimple is typical in the vast majority of modern smaller size crimp clamps you can buy today. This dimple detail evolved sometime in the 70's it seems.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby