Author Topic: Cleaning wiring harnesses  (Read 1111 times)

Offline 69supercj

Cleaning wiring harnesses
« on: October 04, 2022, 05:52:17 PM »
Whats the best method and products to use to clean and restore the color to the various wiring harnesses without removing any lettering? These will be done in car by the way as the car is fully assembled?

Offline 70-Conv_4sp

Re: Cleaning wiring harnesses
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 06:08:08 PM »
Hello - I use the hand cleaner "GO-JO" in the cream form with a little warm water, wet micro-fiber cloth, I cleaned
a set of Autolite plug wires using this method, turned out nice, of course as always test on an inconspicuous
place on the wire(s) before tackling a large area to be sure it will work for you application.

Keith

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 06:53:53 PM »
Hello - I use the hand cleaner "GO-JO" in the cream form with a little warm water, wet micro-fiber cloth, I cleaned
a set of Autolite plug wires using this method, turned out nice, of course as always test on an inconspicuous
place on the wire(s) before tackling a large area to be sure it will work for you application.

Keith

+1 Go Jo - original formula - works great on wiring harnesses. I sometimes use wax & grease remover first if the harness is extra greasy.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline 70-Conv_4sp

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 10:00:37 PM »

+1 Go Jo - original formula - works great on wiring harnesses. I sometimes use wax & grease remover first if the harness is extra greasy.

Thanks RoyceP for the other tip, i will try that too, it seems that would make less the work using the Go-Jo

Keith

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 10:58:07 PM »
I don't like Go-Jo, as it will leave a greasy finish that attracts dust.  It is also fairly labor intensive with application and wiping.Because I do so many wire harnesses, I turn to lacquer thinner and a quick wipe.  Heavy applications of firewall application black tar is nearly impossible to remove.  Many harness' tape becomes stained and LT won't remove it.  I suspect Go-Jo might, but I haven't tried in in years.
Whatever you do, do NOT immerse the harness in any liquid of any kind: any break in the insulation will cause that liquid to migrate up the copper wire and cause corrosion.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 12:09:23 AM »
As a mild cleaner compared with other harsher choices I've often defaulted to wax and silicon remover. Of course earlier formulas were better the EPA approved stuff can still work for the purpose of cleaning. 

Fins that hand cleaners can get trapped between the individual wires and the loom cover :( 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 03:15:40 PM »
I've had great luck with GoJo Natural Orange with grit (fine pumice).
Although you'd think the grit makes it more aggressive it does NOT appear to remove the painted on stencil writing applied to the wire and the Orange formula is not greasy at all. It also removes grease.

Do note that I use just a very light pressure.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Online jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 05:53:12 PM »
Even more important is what NOT to use:
"Goof-Off";
Any acetone based solvent;
"Krud-Kutter" (unless you wipe it off in under a minute);
Paint thinner (unless you wipe it off in under a minute);
Gasoline (obvious).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline kitdoctor

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2022, 09:25:34 PM »
I have seeen these done in an ultrasonic cleaning machine.
Dirty laundry list:
'70 Torino Cobra SCJ Medium Red, C-code, 24k miles
'70 XW GS Fairmont Diamond White, auto, 40k miles
'71 Boss 351 fastback Grabber Yellow 5k miles
'73 XA GT sedan Lime Glaze, 4 speed, 81k miles
'77 XC Fairmont GXL Onyx Black, 4 speed, 29k km
'78 P6 LTD Sno White, auto, 160k km

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2022, 01:19:27 PM »
I tried a few odd ball extra electrical end plugs in an ultrasonic cleaner several years ago as a test.  The original white connections were cruddy brown and stained.  They came out beautiful and white.  However, they were cut off ends and just testing the effectiveness of ultra-sonic on rubber pieces. I would never put a wiring harness in a tub of liquid.  See Midlife's comments.  What I learned is it works great for small plastic, rubber and fiberglass trim, grommet pieces and metal bolts etc...  I would consider using it on plug ends only if I could guarantee I could seal off the inside of the plugs, not sure that is even possible.  It works great on small nasty rusted suspension parts if you use citric acid for degreaser and de-rusting.

Otherwise, I love my sonic cleaner for all kinds of little do dads!

They come in all kinds of sizes.

Just my experience and two cents.

Dan in Kansas