Author Topic: GT 500 Carb Gaskets Leak If Don't Start Car Every 2 Weeks  (Read 1096 times)

Offline kkupec02

GT 500 Carb Gaskets Leak If Don't Start Car Every 2 Weeks
« on: June 25, 2023, 05:06:37 PM »
I had my engine rebuilt last year by Cobra Automotive. I would think that they use regular gasket kits normally used for the GT 500 double carbs. I find that if I don't start my car every 2 weeks or so, the gaskets tend to shrink and at start up, gas just flows from the carbs and in seconds literally fills up the 6 intake manifold depressions, 3 on each side. There must be a cup of gas per side. Then if I shut the car off and wait 15 minutes and start it up again, no leaks. The gaskets have swelled back up. Is there a better gasket material that I should use to prevent gas from leaking and risk an engine fire? I could also fire up the car every week I guess if I was more committed and remembered. I heard that this is a common problem.
1967 GT500 Built 1/26/67 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline Drew Pojedinec

Re: GT 500 Carb Gaskets Leak If Don't Start Car Every 2 Weeks
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 05:29:44 PM »
I don?t know what they use.
But there is a huge difference in parts quality.
I do restorations and build kits, I have 6-7 different vendors for parts to make a single kit. Some of the parts I had to have custom made.

There is also the chance that something is warped or whatever with your carbs.

Or
Your needle and seat are sticking on startup you have spillage. On restart they flush out debris.

Or on cold start the fuel pump pushes the needles down too hard and overfills bowls.

Impossible to guess from here. Best to remove carbs and see.