Author Topic: Drivers Side Wheel Well Pinch Weld Retaining Clip for Fuel Wire -67 SJ  (Read 535 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
The subject of the type or style of fuel sender wire retainer on the drivers side of the trunk came up in a recent discussion and I thought I should share the information found here also

There were two different style of retainers used. The early that were like 1966 versions and the later metal style ones. The change apparently took place around the end of Jan to possibly the second week of Feb 1967 based on data collected from unrestored Mustangs/Shelby's built at San Jose. Sorry don't have real build dates for the cars specifically around the change over period.

As a point, yeas there is a short section of strap metal in the base of the plastic S shaped version but its mostly just plastic so I often refer to them as the plastic and metal versions. The metal version was rubber dipped to protect and insulate it.

Hope this helps others.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 10:06:31 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dkknab

Re: Drivers Side Wheel Well Pinch Weld Retaining Clip for Fuel Wire -67 SJ
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 12:50:42 PM »
That's curious.  The top pictures on both sides show the wire running through the trunk on the driver's side with the plastic luggage guard on the pinch weld.  I don't believe that's the case on my 68 coupe.  I thought it ran down the passenger side. I had a hard time understanding where the wire went as described  in the Electrical Assembly Manual . Is this just the case with 67 SJ cars and not my 68 coupe?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 10:06:56 PM by J_Speegle »
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 03:12:16 PM »
That's curious.  The top pictures on both sides show the wire running through the trunk on the driver's side with the plastic luggage guard on the pinch weld.  I don't believe that's the case on my 68 coupe.  I thought it ran down the passenger side. I had a hard time understanding where the wire went as described  in the Electrical Assembly Manual . Is this just the case with 67 SJ cars and not my 68 coupe?

You have a different year so details like this are different. Different wire looms and other things.

Welcome you to start a thread in the 68 section one the fuel sender wire routing or anything else your having difficulties with or questions
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 10:06:44 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 06:10:59 PM »
The subject of the type or style of fuel sender sire retainer on the drivers side of the trunk came up in a recent discussion and I thought I should share the information found here also

There were two different style of retainers used. The early that were like 1966 versions . .
I cannot find any reference to a 1966 Mustang (or 1965 either) trunk lamp.
There were two different style of retainers used. The early that were like 1966 versions and the later metal style ones. The change apparently took place around the end of Jan to possibly the second week of Feb 1967 based on data collected from unrestored Mustangs/Shelby's built at San Jose. Sorry don't have real build dates for the cars specifically around the change over period.

As a point, yeas there is a short section of strap metal in the base of the plastic S shaped version but its mostly just plastic so I often refer to them as the plastic and metal versions. The metal version was rubber dipped to protect and insulate it.

Hope this helps others.
The "early" version has a Ford hardware part number of 372303-S100 as shown in the "1967 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual" (AM0019) pg61, item 3.
(Note: Reference the AMK Bulk Fasteners, 2019 ed, pg 134, they indicate that 372302-S* is "similar" to 372303-S* with the finish dash of -S99 equal to a -S8 (clear zinc) and rubber insulator, pictorially partial covered.)
The picture of the "Late" clip appears to be either Ford hardware part number 352375-S (not used on any 64-73 Mustang) or 372047-S**, which is a relatively common clip as a -S100, with a rubber coating over about 3/4 from the bend to over the "grip", available from AMK. There is no apparent rubber in the picture.
As to use dates, the above Electrical Assembly Manual is "vague", stating only that the drawing revision date of 7-22-66 "Revised (item-3) Reqmts" , but did not change the part number.
Jim
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 10:07:11 PM by J_Speegle »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 06:25:45 PM »
I cannot find any reference to a 1966 Mustang (or 1965 either) trunk lamp.The "early" version has a Ford hardware part number of 372303-S100 as shown in the "1967 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual" (AM0019) pg61, item 3.

Not sure where the reference to or subject of  "trunk light" came from.  Thread is about the wire that attaches to the fuel sender and just a small section of its route to get there visible in the trunk in a 1966 Mustang
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 10:07:26 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2023, 07:22:04 PM »
Not sure where the reference to or subject of  "trunk light" came from.  Thread is about the wire that attaches to the fuel sender and just a small section of its route to get there visible in the trunk in a 1966 Mustang
It's the "Wire Wire . ." in the title that make this a weird thread.
I remember working on a Friends 1967 Blue Fastback "A" code about 20 years ago and our biggest problem at the time was finding the plastic "Shield" (C7ZB-14A088-A) for the fuel wire at the tank. (The car was a "grass field find".) I don't remember what the clip on the pinch weld in the trunk was. I do remember sticking a lot, a whole lot of tape pieces over the wire in various places. This was a May 67 San Jose car. You judged in at the Concord show in 2006.
Ref: "1967 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual" (AM016) pg30. The revision of 12-7-66 removes Ford hardware part number 372046-S100 and replaces it with the above "Shield".
Jim
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 10:07:39 PM by J_Speegle »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 10:06:12 PM »
It's the "Wire Wire . ." in the title that make this a weird thread.

Easy enough fix
Jeff Speegle