1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 - 70 Shelby

1970 Shelby slop Gray pictures.

(1/3) > >>

Chappy12:
I have a 1970 Shelby GT500 and am finishing the underside of the car. I am looking for pictures of the underside of one that is up to concours standards so I know where to paint the Slop Gray. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Thanks

J_Speegle:
First welcome to the site. Hope you find the support and information you need to help you with your restoration project.

--- Quote from: Chappy12 on January 30, 2024, 09:53:18 AM ---I have a 1970 Shelby GT500 and am finishing the underside of the car. I am looking for pictures of the underside of one that is up to concourse standards so I know where to paint the Slop Gray. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Thanks

--- End quote ---

First personally I don't save many pictures of pretty restored cars because you never know where they got their information from (often not from the specific car) or if they just chose something they thought looked nice or cool. 69 guys do this allot since some rules allow for non-factory finishes without regard to what was originally applied to cars.

Guess you don't have any of the original color to use for a match from the firewall rearward on the car. Is that correct ? Or was their just enough to determine that the original color was not a red oxide paint version.  Would really help to know when the car was completed at Dearborn especially since it was VINed as a 70

Lots of variations between production periods and even week to week but not as bad as 1970-73

Guess you have already read the article in the Library on 69 Dearborn undercarriages?

Also did you try the search feature.? I used the words "batch paint" and found a couple of 69 Dearborn and 69 Shelby threads on the subject with pictures

Give that a try. Will likely merge this thread and one of those in a day or so. :) to keep all of these together

Chappy12:
Thanks for the in put and i will look those other threads up.

J_Speegle:
Thing this one has the most pictures and some grouping by very rough production periods

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=25033.0

RoyceP:

--- Quote from: Chappy12 on January 30, 2024, 09:53:18 AM ---I have a 1970 Shelby GT500 and am finishing the underside of the car. I am looking for pictures of the underside of one that is up to concours standards so I know where to paint the Slop Gray. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Thanks

--- End quote ---

I like Jim's answer a lot.

"[size=78%]Everybody seems to miss the "why". In this time period, and in another money saving policy, Ford mixed leftover batches of paint together to make "primer". The colors probably varied daily if not hourly. In effect, there is no "correct" color. That's why there is no specific color you can find.[/size]Remember, Ford was not building concourse grade cars.Jim"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version