Author Topic: Midland Brake Boosters and the May 1967 recall  (Read 4237 times)

Offline RocketScientist

Midland Brake Boosters and the May 1967 recall
« on: February 11, 2012, 10:23:33 AM »
I was wondering if brake boosters installed in cars manufactured after the May 1967 recall contained the red paint markings (to identify they have been upgraded) or remained black since the fix was incorporated into the production line.
Thanks,
Brad.

Offline ruppstang

Re: Midland Brake Boosters and the May 1967 recall
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 10:29:46 AM »
Brad,
I can not answer your question but am curious about what the reason was for the recall? Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 06:51:06 PM »
I was wondering if brake boosters installed in cars manufactured after the May 1967 recall contained the red paint markings (to identify they have been upgraded) or remained black since the fix was incorporated into the production line.

Believe they likely would have since they were being supplied to the service parts system at the same time for the recall campaign. Marty - can't remember the exact details of the problems other than a verified issue in the cars braking system

This "recall" first started with the check valves (which didn't fix the issue ) and followed with the whole booster assy with new check valve

Booster (with master cylinder) would still be all black but with a very small fire engine red daub.dot on the top surface from the ones I've seen
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 09:30:54 PM »
I don't have a '67, so I'm not familiar with the recall.  What was the problem?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 11:03:27 PM »
Thanks,
Brad.
I believe they were identified with the red mark for at least the rest of 67 production. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 01:32:53 AM »
I don't have a '67, so I'm not familiar with the recall.  What was the problem?

You would press down on the brake pedal and the car would not stop as it should at colder temps is my understanding

Ford described it as "Loss of power assist after a soak at lower ambient temperatures."

Just one of dozens of recalls related to the early Mustangs
Jeff Speegle

Offline socalgt

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 05:26:38 PM »
Looking for a photo of an original brake booster for a '67 (Metuchen April built A code) and what markings identify it as such.

Thanks...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 06:23:02 PM »
Looking for a photo of an original brake booster for a '67 (Metuchen April built A code) and what markings identify it as such.

Looking at the pictures it appears that Midland-Ross was the usual provider for power brake boosters for NJ in 67

Reread the documentation and the Shelby letter identifies a specific car as being the first car with the full (booster and check valve) fix. Cross referencing that cars actual build date I found that it was completed on March 7th - much earlier than the date indicated in one of my earlier posts.

So since your April build date is later I would expect that the original master cylinder in your car would have both red daubs. One on the top of the booster and one on the check valve. Both over the semi-gloss black paint that was applied to the whole assembly as a unit

It would look like the campaign (recall) unit that was installed on cars built prior to that date when they came into the dealerships as requested. Yes :) I know its not a disc master cylinder but the booster marks would be the same

Jeff Speegle

Offline socalgt

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 06:40:49 PM »
Thanks for the pic and info....I believe the second connection on the booster check valve would be for the automatic transmission vacuum line.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 11:13:04 AM »
Hunting for a Hen's Tooth answer...

If detailing a brake booster to resemble NOT HAVING the service campaign performed (prior to recall condition) on a 67 Disc Brake Mustang built in Novemer '66, San Jose...
What paint paint daubs might we expect to see?

See clip from the Campaign Letter below and areas that are circled.

My current understanding is the Pre-Campaign boosters DO NOT have the FoMoCo in the oval imprinted on the top of the housing. I am using one of those types (without logo).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 05:56:14 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 02:17:39 PM »
Hunting for a Hen's Tooth answer...

If detailing a brake booster to resemble NOT HAVING the service campaign performed (prior to recall condition) on a 67 Disc Brake Mustang built in Novemer '66, San Jose...
What paint paint daubs might we expect to see?

See clip from the Campaign Letter below and areas that are circled.

My current understanding is the Pre-Campaign boosters DO NOT have the FoMoCo in the oval imprinted on the top of the housing. I am using one of those types.
For a look like it would from assemblyline ,If you have a booster with the Ford in oval trademark made into the booster then change out for one that doesn't or easier yet fill in the imprint with bondo and bodywork it over to eliminate. FYI even the 68 assemblyline boosters typically didn't use a FOMOCO imprinted booster. That imprinted booster typically indicated a service part. There were typically no paint daubs on a pre recall booster . The master and booster was painted as a assembly bolted together(know you knew that but for others reading) semigloss black.  Fluid Sticker was added after paint.  A pre ESA sticker (like your picture) was typical for majority 67 and ESA type for after.   
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 02:23:50 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 04:50:29 PM »
For a look like it would from assemblyline ,If you have a booster with the Ford in oval trademark made into the booster then change out for one that doesn't or easier yet fill in the imprint with bondo and bodywork it over to eliminate. FYI even the 68 assemblyline boosters typically didn't use a FOMOCO imprinted booster. That imprinted booster typically indicated a service part. There were typically no paint daubs on a pre recall booster . The master and booster was painted as a assembly bolted together(know you knew that but for others reading) semigloss black.  Fluid Sticker was added after paint.  A pre ESA sticker (like your picture) was typical for majority 67 and ESA type for after.
Sounds like I am good to go, no paint daubs and no FoMoCo logo.

I rubbed down an area on the NOS Service booster and it has a luster not quite gloss but more of a shine than semi-gloss black. The paint is used matches pretty close but cheap as it is Krylon, I am sure that time will dull it down a bit.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 04:54:01 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 05:21:54 PM »
Agree with Bob's observations of no paint mark on booster or check valve for one as you outlined.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 10:02:06 AM »
If I remember correctly, the reason for the recall was loss of brakes during wet weather and the ambient temperature.
Texas Swede

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2023, 04:26:58 PM »
Sounds like I am good to go, no paint daubs and no FoMoCo logo.

Richard's car was built on 11/2/66 and had the old version check valve and old version booster.
No red dots as it came from the dealer.

The Shelby car was 1185 and was built on 3/7/67. It would have the new check valve and new booster.
Red dots on both the black painted valve and black painted booster.

We then have the period in between where the first recall was issued (date of this?) and the second booster recall was published where three things could be presented, depending on the date.
One, the factory applied the recall on the assembly line and the new check valve was painted along with the entire assembly and a red dot was applied to just the valve.
Two, your car was delivered to the dealer and the dealer applied the recall. The valve would be white with a red dot. A Day One fix.
Three, you brought your car into the dealer for the recall and the valve would be white with a red dot.
A Day Two fix.
Although the two and three are identical it has to be presented as two ways in which it was done.

Although the letter going out to the dealers was dated 2/28/67, Ford knew earlier that this as coming. Jeff says 1385 was the first date of a fully factory installed booster and valve in a SJ Shelby. This means Shelbys built on 3/7/67 could also include 1384, 1385, 1386, 1387, 1388, 1389, 1391, 1383 and 1408.

In between November and March a recalled valve car would have a black booster with no red and a white valve with red.

After the new boosters were available through the dealer network both booster and valve would be black with a red dot.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion