1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 - 70 Shelby

leaf springs

(1/5) > >>

mach1one:
got a chance over the weekend to restore my 69 shelby leaf springs that had never been removed from the car. I found a rectangular piece of hard thin plastic between the the lower small shelby stamped leaf and the one below it. it measured about 5 inch by 2inch and was centered around the leaf spring bolt. I also noticed that the bolt itself had been sheared at its end. was this a factory shelby only thing to prevent the nut from comming loose? My springs only had 2 straps and I could not find any remnants of paint ID marks. Also of interest was that the shelby part #'s were only stamped on the visible side of 1 leaf. The other side was stamped on the inner non visible side of the small leaf. the car in question was built 3/69. Lu

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: mach1one on December 28, 2009, 01:07:21 PM ---got a chance over the weekend to restore my 69 shelby leaf springs that had never been removed from the car.....the car in question was built 3/69.

I found a rectangular piece of hard thin plastic between the the lower small shelby stamped leaf and the one below it. it measured about 5 inch by 2inch and was centered around the leaf spring bolt.
--- End quote ---

Yes have found the same insulator "pad" on others

--- Quote from: mach1one on December 28, 2009, 01:07:21 PM --- I also noticed that the bolt itself had been sheared at its end. was this a factory shelby only thing to prevent the nut from comming loose? My springs only had 2 straps and I could not find any remnants of paint ID marks.
--- End quote ---

Have seen some that appear to be cut with something like bolt cutters and other not done that way. Not sure if there was a reason or something one worker did

Yes the third (mustang) clamp was left off when the short leaf was added

--- Quote from: mach1one on December 28, 2009, 01:07:21 PM --- Also of interest was that the shelby part #'s were only stamped on the visible side of 1 leaf. The other side was stamped on the inner non visible side of the small leaf.

--- End quote ---

Could it be that the worker switch that side (installed it up side down)?

AJ:
Thought i?d post these pics of my late feb GT500 leaf springs as I restore.

AJ:
More pics

AJ:
One way to soak springs using 3 gallons of evaporust

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version