Author Topic: 4300 carb problems  (Read 990 times)

Online Murf

4300 carb problems
« on: July 30, 2013, 12:05:48 PM »
For several years this 4300 has given me fits and most of the problem areas have been worked out - except for the "weeping" of fuel around the accelerator pump operating shaft as it sticks out the top of the carb.  Just enough fuel weeps to cause a stain on the top of the intake manifold, and it occurs when sitting, not running.  Hot is worse, but sitting right now in a cool garage on the bench with only a gravity fed fuel supply the darn thing will wet itself overnight.  Fuel level in the float bowl is correct as far as float setting - can not see in the bowl to make a wet setting.  Removing the top with fuel in the bowl looks as if the fuel level is not excessive so I do not think it is running over.  I have disabled one of the two fuel inlets which was a common fix for these carbs back when but the "wicking" goes on.  Just wondering if anyone else has fought this problem and has a solution or even an idea for a remedy.  This is a short story but has taken a long time to get this monster to work correctly and I would love to keep the carb since it was what Ford intended BUT it is about to drive me crazy.  Can anyone offer any help?  Thanks in advance and any and all suggestions or thoughts will be appreciated. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior