Author Topic: Vinyl Top Trim Question  (Read 10608 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Vinyl Top Trim Question
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2023, 02:54:48 PM »
I sent a couple of original ones to Marty R. I don't remember having pictures of them but will describe them.
A cross view (from the narrow edge) is arched, much like the shape of a parentheses character on your computer keyboard. 
The one edge of the long run of the drip rail is smooth. The other long edge has a small slit every 3/4" or so, so it is somewhat perforated (so to speak). My take-away is this is what I would consider a "toothed edge". I wonder if the 68 Osborn Assembly Manual has any images to show the strip OR THE SERVICE Bulletin that came out about these strips coming loose (for late-67 and 68 year-model examples).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:10:15 PM by J_Speegle »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2023, 04:01:12 PM »
I sent a couple of original ones to Marty R. I don't remember having pictures of them but will describe them.
A cross view (from the narrow edge) is arched, much like the shape of a parentheses character on your computer keyboard. 
The one edge of the long run of the drip rail is smooth. The other long edge has a small slit every 3/4" or so, so it is somewhat perforated (so to speak). My take-away is this is what I would consider a "toothed edge". I wonder if the 68 Osborn Assembly Manual has any images to show the strip OR THE SERVICE Bulletin that came out about these strips coming loose (for late-67 and 68 year-model examples).

Don't recall or believe there was a TSB on the strips showing or describing them in any detail. If I recall correctly there is one that references the change/usage
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:10:21 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2023, 09:34:36 PM »
My parts car for my barn find convertible has a black vinyl roof, or what is left of it. Today when I checked the retainers were still buried in the silicone and were the nicest ones that I have found.     
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:10:28 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2023, 10:28:12 PM »
Looks like it would be easy to make if you found the correct stock. Thanks for "digging" in on the subject
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:10:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2023, 02:42:09 AM »
Those retainers are a thing of beauty there....very nice.  I assume the car they came from must be pretty decent Marty.....
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:10:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2023, 06:35:58 AM »
My parts car for my barn find convertible has a black vinyl roof, or what is left of it. Today when I checked the retainers were still buried in the silicone and were the nicest ones that I have found.   

Yes, those are the EARLY type retainers (extruded aluminum stock and has a rounded edge) and they are the same as what I have on my November 66 built coupe. These get buried in sealant from the factory.

The later-67 thru 68 version is stainless steel and are visible after installation.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:10:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2023, 09:21:42 AM »
Yes, those are the EARLY type retainers (extruded aluminum stock and has a rounded edge) and they are the same as what I have on my November 66 built coupe. These get buried in sealant from the factory.

The later-67 thru 68 version is stainless steel and are visible after installation.
Richard what makes you think that is a early late thing? My son-in-law's SJ coupe built Sept. 1966 had the stainless steel ones. I always thought it might be a plant or supplier thing. This parts car is a early 67 Dearborn car.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:11:02 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2023, 11:46:31 AM »
Richard what makes you think that is a early late thing? My son-in-law's SJ coupe built Sept. 1966 had the stainless steel ones. I always thought it might be a plant or supplier thing. This parts car is a early 67 Dearborn car.
I believe it is early/late based on personal observations and researching for my Nov. 66 San Jose build. I am open to discussing details found on other example that include a Marti Report confirmation, which might help wash out certain non-factory examples (not saying your son-in-laws example it isn't original but also, keeping in mind that replacement tops along the way are very common too).
It doesn't hurt to take a look at drip rails for any holes on cars with a Marti-confirmed example. I rather doubt any dealer or other installer would drill holes for  the strips that I consider EARLY (the aluminum ones).
The aluminum strips carry a C5ZB-6553728-A engineering number (as seen in the 67 Osborn Mustang Interior Assembly Manual, page 55, dated 12-16-66). No mention of the stainless version in that citation of reference. A C5ZB engineering number suggests to me that the same strip was designed for the 65 model year and carries into at least the beginning half of production of the 67 year model. I look at this detail on vinyl top examples at shows, and though I haven't complied any list, my research lends to this as another 67 running change of sorts.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:11:08 PM by J_Speegle »
Richard Urch

Offline preaction

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2023, 01:05:37 PM »
Would these same stainless steel inserts be use in  68 on Cougars too ?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:11:16 PM by J_Speegle »
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2023, 09:08:42 PM »
Here is a couple of pictures of the non pop rivet style.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:11:23 PM by J_Speegle »
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.
San Jose build, Actual build: Dec 17, 66.

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2023, 02:07:59 PM »
Adding some photos here of what I have now and want to make sure if there is a general agreement on installation etc since this thread was started over 9 years ago.  Figuring we may have learned some more on this over the years.  I am working on a 1968 coupe built in Metuchen in May of 1968. 

My understanding is the installation would be as follows:
Install vinyl top on car.
Install strips (see photos) that are riveted in place.
Rivet from the top side down.
Install drip mouldings
Apply sealant to fill over the valley area and cover the strip and rivets etc

Pictures here show an original strip where the holes are every 4 inches except one area where there is a 3 inch spacing.  Thanks to Marty Rupp for getting the original pieces to me.

20230414_094631 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr

20230414_094807 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr

20230414_094838 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr

« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:11:32 PM by J_Speegle »
Marcus Anghel

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2023, 05:51:52 PM »
..................... I am working on a 1968 coupe built in Metuchen in May of 1968. 

Install drip mouldings

Believe that is how it is described in the documents.

Did find in earlier documents that the rivets started, according to what is in print Oct 67 and used 1/8" rivets "at critical points"
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:11:41 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2023, 07:24:34 PM »
Adding some photos here of what I have now and want to make sure if there is a general agreement on installation etc since this thread was started over 9 years ago.  Figuring we may have learned some more on this over the years.  I am working on a 1968 coupe built in Metuchen in May of 1968. 

Install drip mouldings

Pictures here show an original strip where the holes are every 4 inches except one area where there is a 3 inch spacing.  Thanks to Marty Rupp for getting the original pieces to me.

Sorry Marcas I have not had time to call today.

What you described above is what I found on the car the retainers came from.  You may want to fill the silicone before the drip rail moldings are installed.

I have not had a chance to look yet but there may be some installation instructions in the 1968 service manual.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:11:49 PM by J_Speegle »

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2023, 08:00:35 PM »
Ok thanks Marty and Jeff.  So are we saying that there is not necessarily a rivet in each hole in the strip at every 4 inches?  They just riveted as needed or was every single hole in that strip riveted? 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:12:03 PM by J_Speegle »
Marcus Anghel

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2023, 08:41:24 PM »
There was a rivet in each hole when I removed them. That seems like more than I have seen on other cars. Knowing that the rivets will be seen from under I think I would start with every other hole and see if it looks tight.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:12:11 PM by J_Speegle »