Author Topic: Front Fender Well Details  (Read 1823 times)

Offline tgilliam

Front Fender Well Details
« on: July 18, 2023, 01:22:11 PM »
Good Day All,
I am looking for detailed information about finishing the front wheel well side of the aprons/inner fenders for a 69 Shelby -#480202, January 08, 1969 Ford completion date. Looking for pictures (if possible) and descriptions of seam sealer, sound deadener, paint color and paint sequence. Believe the car had red oxide paint on undercarriage and would have been used on front sheet metal before the engine compartment and other front areas were sprayed black. Would like to see/hear what the front corners (where core support extends to form wheel well) of the inner fender area should look like, how much red oxide would be visible in the wheel well or if totally blacked out? Was sound deadener applied over red oxide before black or after black was applied? I found some information and pictures through the search feature but not very clear. It would be really nice to see some pictures of both sides with the front fenders/front end removed. Any help would be much appreciated. Working on completing painting and black-out details on the body at this time.

Tom Gilliam
tom@jtgil.com
(270) 847 - 8093

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: Front Fender Well Details
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 05:59:21 PM »
I sent you some photos of unrestored cars

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 03:20:47 PM »
Tom did you happen to look at the article in the library titled - - Undercarriage - Finishes and Sealer Guide for 1969 Dearborn Built Mustangs & Shelby's

For Shelby ignore the details about sound deadener in the front wheel wells. Ford didn't apply since there were no fenders or front ends installed at Dearborn

Only a couple of related pictures in this thread - https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5490.msg30786#msg30786

Will post some additional pictures when I return home

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 08:28:11 PM »
To be clear sway on seam sealer was used in places but the Mustang style sound deadener was not applied in the FRONT wheel well. It was left without any. If your car has some it was likely added by the dealer (extra $$$) or by a PO

Also the thread in the Unrestored picture thread titled - 70 GT500 - June 1969 - Unrestored Picture Thread has a couple of really nice and clean inner fender panels.

Just added these pictures to the others in that thread

Up loaded some additional pictures for another posting in another thread so needed to add them here also

UNDERCARRIAGE CONTINUED

U16 - Passenger side rear

U16 - Drivers side rear low

U16 - Drivers side rear. Body color over red oxide base

U16 - Drivers side mid Red oxide base on inner fender panels and forward frame

U20 - Drivers side forward

If you need more, let us know

From other examples
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 08:38:02 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tgilliam

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 10:25:35 AM »
Good Day Pete, Jeff,
Pete, Thanks a million for the photos - were very much in the areas I was looking for guidance, really helpful.

Jeff, Thanks for pointing me to the Library. I knew I had found some good pictures in the past but did not think to look there, was looking in Member's Car Restoration and 69/70 Shelby topic areas.
Great information for the areas I was trying to nail down.

Tom Gilliam
tom@jtgil.com