Author Topic: 1969 Mustang under the cowl  (Read 355 times)

Offline Csboukis

1969 Mustang under the cowl
« on: April 03, 2024, 10:04:33 AM »
Hi Everyone,

My car is going to be painted very soon. I don?t know if the area just underneath the cowl should be painted body color or black. I think it?s black on 1970 cars. My car was built in the first week of March 1969 in Dearborn.  It is a 1969 mustang. I?ve seen cars that have it painted black and also body color. Not sure what is correct. I?ve  seen it done both ways on 69 cars. Does it depend on plant/build location? Can somebody please provide clarity? I attached a photo of the area in question circled in white. Thank you!
1969 Mustang GT Coupe S code Dearborn built 3/6/1969

Offline tobkob

Re: 1969 Mustang under the cowl
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 12:23:56 PM »
My April 7th '69 Shelby (Dearborn of course) had body color. I believe the transition was mid April but some were blacked out except some that slipped through. The other plants probably had different dates. There are some older threads on this subject,

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 06:20:00 PM »
First welcome to the site. Hope you find the information and support here helpful in your concours related projects and needs.

Hi Everyone,

My car is going to be painted very soon. I don?t know if the area just underneath the cowl should be painted body color or black. I think it?s black on 1970 cars. My car was built in the first week of March 1969 in Dearborn.  It is a 1969 mustang. I?ve seen cars that have it painted black and also body color. Not sure what is correct. I?ve  seen it done both ways on 69 cars. Does it depend on plant/build location? Can somebody please provide clarity? I attached a photo of the area in question circled in white. Thank you!

Yes depends on where and when the car was built like so many details

Might want to get familiar with the search tool. There is a ton of information posted here and when we get a new question on an old subject we often merge the new with the old. Search like so many sites is not perfect and takes some effort but in the long run can be easier. Might also suggest that you ad a line in your signature with your cars real build date and where it was built so you don't have to type it with each question. You will be asked over and over. Only way to get the best help and feed back

So to help you with your specific question we now know it was built at Dearborn but when?

Another place to look is the Unrestored Picture Section to see if there is a car or very close to yours
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 06:31:34 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Csboukis

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 08:34:46 AM »
Thanks for all the tips. I have to get familiar with using this site. The car was built March 6, 1969 in Dearborn.
1969 Mustang GT Coupe S code Dearborn built 3/6/1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2024, 04:30:54 PM »
The car was built March 6, 1969 in Dearborn.

Looking at my picture collection it appears that cars built around the same time as yours shill had the body colored cowl section above the firewall pinch weld.

Unrestored example

Jeff Speegle

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2024, 02:10:01 PM »
By April 14, Dearborn cowls were painted black.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2024, 03:47:29 PM »
By April 14, Dearborn cowls were painted black.

That would fit into the timeline I've found by almost a month for Dearborn

This subject never really got a Running Change tread as it should have so will be established those this week with documentation and examples to help others 
Jeff Speegle