Author Topic: 1967-68 POWER STEERING HOSE STRAP  (Read 1084 times)

Offline 196667Bob

1967-68 POWER STEERING HOSE STRAP
« on: October 29, 2019, 04:20:06 PM »
Offered for your consideration, is a Reproduction Power Steering Hose Strap that was meant to "restrain" the Power Steering Hose going to the pump in order to keep it "out of the way" and keep it from potentially getting too close to the exhaust manifold. In most cases, these Straps have been found to be either missing completely, or only remnants of them still attached.
These have been observed on both 1967's and 1968's, yet no Ford Part Number has been found for this, and no Reproduction for it is currently available. While similar to the rubber strap used for the heater hoses on 1965-67's, that strap has been found to be not only too long, but too wide.

The original Power Steering Hose Straps appear to have been of tire cord material, and held to the front of the Driver';s side shock tower by either a "push-in" type pin or a "screw-in" SEMS fastener.

While having a Reproduction made of actual tire cord did not prove practical, I did find a company that would make them out of double-corded rubber, of a similar durometer A of 70-75. Dimensions were based on two intact original straps provided by two of our long time members. The straps have been machine cut and machine punched for uniformity. I only had a limited number of these made, so "first come, first served".

The first three pictures attached are showing the original Straps in place ; the remaining pictures are of the straps that I had made ; the last two pictures are of the two types of fasteners. Note that in the pictures of the straps I had made, some pictures show more than one strap, and also show a SEMS fastener. These are for illustrative purposes only ; this offering is for one Strap only, and no fastener is included.

If your car originally had Power Steering from the Factory, there should be an approximate 1/4" hole located just below the Service Specifications Sticker located on the front of the Driver's side Shock Tower ; if your Power Steering was added after it left the Factory, and no hole is present, there should be a dimple in the sheet metal there.

As far as the fastener, at this point, it has not been determined when, where or why the two different types were used. While the majority of those seen are of the "push-in" type, the SEMS fastener has been seen on both San Jose and Dearborn cars. If you have an existing hole, possibly you can tell if it is a "clean" hole, or if it has been "threaded" by a self-tapping screw. If in doubt of which fastener to use, or if you need to drill a hole in the shock tower sheet metal (due to its having been replaced or never had one to start with), I would drill a 13/64" hole (the size of a pilot hole for a #14 self-tapping screw), and use the "push-in" fastener until it has been determined which fastener would be "correct" for your specific application.

In either case, you are "in luck", as AMK has both. The "push-in" fastener is Hardware Part # 382040-S2, and the SEMS fastener is Hardware Part # 376276-S2 (S2 is "Raven Finish" - Phosphate and Oil).

For more information on this strap and its fasteners, see this thread located here in CMF - http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=14382.0

Price for one Reproduction Strap, with no fastener is $27.00, including shipping to all locations in the Lower 48 States. Shipping beyond the Lower 48 may be able to be arranged at additional cost.

PayPal preferred.

Send PM if interested.

Thanks for looking.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1967-68 POWER STEERING HOSE STRAP
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 04:32:59 PM »
The originals material looks like what was used on conveyor belts back in the day.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 11:04:48 AM »
The originals material looks like what was used on conveyor belts back in the day.
Jim

Jim : I believe that you should qualify your statement by adding "that I have observed" after the word "material". I say this because, while I have seen a few that could be described as you noted, the majority of pictures that have been Posted, as well as the other pictures that I have looked at which show the Strap, and specifically the two examples that John and Jeff Posted with detailed dimensions, appear to be more of a tire cord type material.

Thus I believe that your blatant statement which implies "all originals" is incorrect.

However, I believe that it is prudent to note this observation (and should probably be added to the thread, as opposed to the "For Sale" section), as it then adds to the question "did Ford Corporate just use whatever rubber it had "laying around" and distribute it to the Plants, or did they leave it up to each Plant or one of its Suppliers to furnish a rubber Strap?".

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 12:42:27 PM »
Jim : I believe that you should qualify your statement by adding "that I have observed" after the word "material". I say this because, while I have seen a few that could be described as you noted, the majority of pictures that have been Posted, as well as the other pictures that I have looked at which show the Strap, and specifically the two examples that John and Jeff Posted with detailed dimensions, appear to be more of a tire cord type material.

Thus I believe that your blatant statement which implies "all originals" is incorrect.

However, I believe that it is prudent to note this observation (and should probably be added to the thread, as opposed to the "For Sale" section), as it then adds to the question "did Ford Corporate just use whatever rubber it had "laying around" and distribute it to the Plants, or did they leave it up to each Plant or one of its Suppliers to furnish a rubber Strap?".

Bob
Sorry. Let me be "politically correct" in my statement -
The originals' material looks like what was used on conveyor belts back in the day.
Apostrophe added to indicate "possessive".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Shawn

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 08:26:55 PM »
I think you could use an original rear license plate shield and cut into strips.  Pretty sure if I recall its the same material if too thick run down with fine sand paper thats what i did.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 09:57:59 PM »
I believe the license plate rubber has strands of cotton cord cut into small lengths and then sprinkled (for lack of a better term) into the rubber. The correct term is 'masticated rubber'.

The PS strap has what appears to be woven cord placed in layers like the sidewall of a tire or think pancake.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 10:47:27 PM »
I believe the license plate rubber has strands of cotton cord cut into small lengths and then sprinkled (for lack of a better term) into the rubber. The correct term is 'masticated rubber'.

The PS strap has what appears to be woven cord placed in layers like the sidewall of a tire or think pancake.

+1 Plus the sheild by now are stiff like a board and will crack if you try to reshape them  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dkknab

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2024, 12:16:52 PM »
Old thread here's my upper strap.  The hardware is metal push in.
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662