Author Topic: Removing Plastic Heater Control Knobs From Arms - 1969-1973  (Read 622 times)

Offline Wills70

Removing Plastic Heater Control Knobs From Arms - 1969-1973
« on: October 15, 2023, 04:02:55 PM »
Hi, I have heat / cool controller that I would like to remove the plastic chrome knobs. , can anyone recommend the best way to achieve  this without damaging the knobs?

Thanks Will
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 11:49:52 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Removing Plastic Heater Control Knobs From Arms - 1969-1973
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 12:00:01 AM »
If I recall correctly - been a while, there is a thin metal insert the holds the knob to the blade arm of the control. Last ones I pull I used a pair of pliers to hold the blades (one at a time) behind the face plates so if I left a little mark from the pliers it would not show once installed and then I pulled the knobs off with my fingers. If things didn't go as planned I was considering wrapping a fork which had enough space between the tangs to left the arm/blade to pass between without contact. Wrap the end of the fork with a couple of layers of electrical tape then with a razor or razor knife cut a small section of tape out between the metal fork tangs. The holding the controls and placing my fingers behind the fork which was making contact with the back side or edge of the know use that to provide a better grasps and give that a pull. Never got to using that plan but thought I would share as a possibility.  Know I've tried loosening up the metal clips inside knobs like this in the past. Could often get a small thin screw driver blade in to work it loose a bit but you run the risk of deforming the knob.

Likely not the only way but what worked for me.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 04:24:16 PM »
If I recall correctly - been a while, there is a thin metal insert the holds the knob to the blade arm of the control. Last ones I pull I used a pair of pliers to hold the blades (one at a time) behind the face plates so if I left a little mark from the pliers it would not show once installed and then I pulled the knobs off with my fingers.
I think the metal is formed into a tight "U" shape with several (4?) pointed tabs that grip the control arm. The tabs are bent to slide on, but resist slidding off.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Wills70

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 05:10:51 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions , I will update with findings when time allows
Thanks Will

Offline Wills70

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 07:52:02 PM »
Working out in the garage and found this piece of nylon I had leftover from some Aerospace job at work , was able to remove the knobs with out damage. I gave it a shot of WD 40 to soak before pulling. The arms are stamped to create a keeper for the plastic knobs. With knobs removed I can begin the restoration