Author Topic: C7AE 6A666-B PCV details  (Read 1699 times)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
C7AE 6A666-B PCV details
« on: June 06, 2015, 06:15:51 PM »
Last weekend I had the opportunity to do some junkyarding, for the first time in more years than I care to admit. I was very fortunate to locate a correct lower alternator bracket for my '68 S-code motor. I also happened across a fairly nice PCV tube with what appears to be an original PCV valve. I'm posting some detail shots for reference. (These are pre-cleaning; I may follow up later with some photos after it's cleaned up).

Tha markings are as follows: three small dots, followed by a circular logo with "SSC". Then the part number, "C7AE-6A66B", followed by "PAT 3263699" and three more dots.

SSC is the manufacturer, Standard Screw Company. The patent is for an automatic variable-flow PCV valve. The patent has a good explanation (if you are used to patent language) of how they work: http://www.google.com/patents/US3263699 SSC also manufactured hydraulic lifters and various other components.

Update: added the three dots at the end of the markings, and uploaded larger photos.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 09:32:28 PM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: C7AE 6A666-B PCV details
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 07:16:07 PM »
WT8095 you win the "Most Amazing Details of the Week" !!!!!   ;D

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 09:26:50 PM »
WT8095 you win the "Most Amazing Details of the Week" !!!!!   ;D

Cool! What's my prize? I'm hoping it's a 68-1/2 CJ, but I'd settle for a cookie...  ;D

I didn't realize I upoaded the photos at such a small size. I'm going to update them and add some "after" photos once it's cleaned up. In the meantime, Brian Conway has an older post with some photos of two PCV valves in REALLY nice condition: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9059.msg67683#msg67683
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 09:48:16 PM »
One additional observation:

The valve I show in the photos is marked "upside down" relative to the way it is installed in the engine. Not important, since the markings are covered when it's installed. The two valves that Brian shared in his post (referenced above) are also marked in this orientation. However, I have seen photos with valves marked the other way. See attached photos, both from WCCC. One valve is clearly used, but is it assembly line or service part? The other photo is a reproduction. The repro has a larger chamfer at the bottom end where it goes into the valve cover. The used WCCC one also looks like it may have a larger chamfer, but I cannot say for sure. And neither photo shows if the SSC logo is present.

A couple of possibilities come to mind:

1) The direction of the markings has no meaning. Perhaps they were randomly inserted one way or another into the marking die.
2) The direction changed at some point in time.
3) More than one supplier was used, and they marked valves differently.

Regarding possibility number three: SSC's patent was issued in 1966. For other manufacturers to make the valves without infringing on SSC's patent, SSC would have had to grant permission. Seems unlikely, but that is entirely a hunch. Have other manufacturer logos been observed on PCV valves of this type within this general timeframe?
Dave Z.