Author Topic: 68 4speeds toploader rebuilt ..shifter identification !?!  (Read 2948 times)

Offline mhubert89

68 4speeds toploader rebuilt ..shifter identification !?!
« on: July 23, 2015, 06:52:06 PM »
Hi !

I rebuilt my 4speeds toploader on my 68 289 . My trans its matching number to my car. I start to dissambly the shifter. Dont look like the original ! Have hurst super shifter on it ! Can that come like a option on my car or someone change it ? Can i found something to rebuilt it ?
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed
Built in Dearborn on April 16th

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: 68 4speeds toploader rebuilt ..shifter identification !?!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 06:55:21 PM »
the hurst is not original. this is the guy to fix you up here.

http://www.vintagefordmanualshifters.info/
5F09C331248

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 07:06:47 PM »
But if i dont do a mistake, the hole for the shifter in the floor need to be modify to put this kind of shifter ? I change my floor on my 68 and the shifter hile was larger like someone modify it !
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:08:53 PM by mhubert89 »
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 07:34:19 PM »
But if i dont do a mistake, the hole for the shifter in the floor need to be modify to put this kind of shifter ? I change my floor on my 68 and the shifter hile was larger like someone modify it !

Its depends on which Hurst shifter (all aftermarket until 70) and its throw. Often the only modification is an additional four holes for the different shifter boot.

My 69 Boss 302 sported one at some point in the past - only evidence was the four screw holes. No changes to the shifter opening on the floor in this case
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 07:37:23 PM »
You need a offset Hurst handle like this to go through the stock Mustang opening. Can sometimes find them on ebay.

Chilwillbill is great source if you wish to return to the stock unit. Surprisingly, the stock units, properly rebuilt, are surprisingly smooth. Expect to pay around $500 for a nice stock shifter.
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 Jalapeño Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 09:06:57 AM »
how look the original mounting plate for the shifter linkage on a small block ? Original !
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 02:10:59 PM »
how look the original mounting plate for the shifter linkage on a small block ? Original !
The stock shifter does not use an adapter (mounting plate). It mounts directly to the three points on the tailshaft housing. If you want to stick (no pun intended) ::) with a Hurst setup, the only part you have that will work on your car is the control box (maybe). I have never seen an adapter plate like that with spacers. The shift handle, and probably all the linkage would have to be swapped out.
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 Jalapeño Red GT  5SPD
07 Black GT500 Cp

Online jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 04:27:52 PM »
The stock shifter does not use an adapter (mounting plate). It mounts directly to the three points on the tailshaft housing. If you want to stick (no pun intended) ::) with a Hurst setup, the only part you have that will work on your car is the control box (maybe). I have never seen an adapter plate like that with spacers. The shift handle, and probably all the linkage would have to be swapped out.
I installed Hurst shifters on a 64 Fairlane with a T-10 (Kansas, K code), a 66 Mustang top loader (Metuchen, A code) and a 69 Sportsroof top loader (San Jose, M code). All were custom adapted for Ford and the specific Ford transmission with an adapter plate, shifting linkage rods and shifter. I was under the impression that back in that era, all Hurst 4 speed shifters were the same but they came with different adapters for Ford, Chrysler products and GM. The standard knob was white, some with R up, some with R down, and an aluminum "T" was optional (right now, it's on my 69 VW).
Jim
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 04:30:54 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 04:58:23 PM »
I installed Hurst shifters on a 64 Fairlane with a T-10 (Kansas, K code), a 66 Mustang top loader (Metuchen, A code) and a 69 Sportsroof top loader (San Jose, M code). All were custom adapted for Ford and the specific Ford transmission with an adapter plate, shifting linkage rods and shifter. I was under the impression that back in that era, all Hurst 4 speed shifters were the same but they came with different adapters for Ford, Chrysler products and GM. The standard knob was white, some with R up, some with R down, and an aluminum "T" was optional (right now, it's on my 69 VW).
Jim
+1 Jim.
 The adapter plate that he shows in is picture is not the one typically included in the Mustang kit. The kit includes not only the correct adapter, but specific rods for each application. (Attached in my first post).
 For example, the Fairlane top loader is the same overall length as Mustang, but the shifter mounts a few inches forward on the tailshaft housing instead of the trailing end like the Stang. So the kits are completely different.
 The Hurst control boxes are mostly the same, except for the application specific handle, and the reverse lever inside the box. The shifter in his picture explains the previous owners butcher job on the transmission tunnel. It's WAY to the left, when it needs to be almost in the center of the tunnel. IMHO with what he's got to work with, a better choice would be to go with the OEM shifter.
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 Jalapeño Red GT  5SPD
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 09:06:36 PM »
............ I was under the impression that back in that era, all Hurst 4 speed shifters were the same but they came with different adapters for Ford, Chrysler products and GM. .
-1 ;)

Ahh nope  In mid 66 (for example) Hurst sold at least three different versions the Hurst Dual Pattern, Hurst Competition Plus, the ever so popular Hurst Mystery Shifter. IF it was a later modification even more types of Hurst shifter were available. Remember some of the ratcheting straight pattern shifters. Had one in a 67 GT350

But I guessed we jumped the gun assuming that the aftermarket shift was even a Hurst one. The cause of the oversized shifter hole could be for any aftermarket shifter

I also see listed in just one of my catalogs (the one I grabbed was an Honest Charley) Speed King, Power Shifter, Mark II, and Getaway, shifter to name some more

Yes I have a few  ::)  aftermarket speed catalogs in stock for research  can't built era customs without them  :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:10:20 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 12:18:13 AM »
I stand corrected, but I was on the right track. Each "model" was the same, and there were a lot of adapters and rods  fpr different cr brands. I do remember that Hurst had a 5/16 hex drive flat head screw that they used on the adapter to the transmission.
Jim
What did you think of the little ball park?
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.