Author Topic: 69 Mach1 351W FMX with PS+AC Metuchen built correct idler pulleys  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Buiaka

Hi everyone,

i have a question regarding my pulley setup. My 1969 Mach 1 with FMX transmission, factory equipped PS and AC didnt have a non adjustable idler pulley for the AC belt when i bought it.
The AC belt did vibrate a lot, so i did a little research and found out that AC cars had this non adjustable idler pulley. I bought one on ebay and installed it. Now the belt isnt vibrating anymore but i cant align the bracket and pulley correct with the AC compressor pulley, with some washers only, but still not 100% correct.
Was my car equipped from factory with this non adjustable idler pulley or not? Thats the main question.

The setup i found is for the 70s and does not show this non adjustable idler pulley.

http://1970mgr.org/_DriveBelts.htm

I need some pictures how the brackets are installed the correct way. AC compressor, PS pump and non adjustable pulley bracket use the same bolt on one spot.
I dont know whats the right order.

Thank you

greets

Christopher
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 05:27:30 AM by Buiaka »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69 Mach1 351W FMX with PS+AC Metuchen built correct idler pulleys
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 02:16:39 PM »
Hi everyone,

i have a question regarding my pulley setup. My 1969 Mach 1 with FMX transmission, factory equipped PS and AC didnt have a non adjustable idler pulley for the AC belt when i bought it.
The AC belt did vibrate a lot, so i did a little research and found out that AC cars had this non adjustable idler pulley. I bought one on ebay and installed it. Now the belt isnt vibrating anymore but i cant align the bracket and pulley correct with the AC compressor pulley, with some washers only, but still not 100% correct.
Was my car equipped from factory with this non adjustable idler pulley or not? Thats the main question.

The setup i found is for the 70s and does not show this non adjustable idler pulley.

http://1970mgr.org/_DriveBelts.htm

I need some pictures how the brackets are installed the correct way. AC compressor, PS pump and non adjustable pulley bracket use the same bolt on one spot.
I dont know whats the right order.

Thank you

greets

Christopher
If you do not have the correct compressor clutch it will confuse you further. The clutch pulley groove can be in different positions depending on application.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Buiaka

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 03:48:25 PM »
Everything lines up (adjustable idler pulley, crank pulley and compressor clutch pulley) except the non-adjustable pulley. I bought the date correct one. i need some washers on the lowest screw to line it up, but still not 100% good.

greets

Christopher

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 04:39:39 PM »
Does this help?

PS pump had not been installed yet

There are exploded views of the assembly in the MPC's and the Mustang Restoration Guide (basically a reprinting of allot of the 75 version of the MPC -- only smaller diagrams) and other views in the Assembly Manuals

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Buiaka

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 06:11:26 PM »
Thank you a lot. On the third picture you see a spacer on the lower screw of the ps bracket. This is where one leg of the non-adjustable idler pulley is installed.
So im on the right way getting his solved.

greets

Christopher

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 03:36:28 PM »
Thank you a lot. On the third picture you see a spacer on the lower screw of the ps bracket. This is where one leg of the non-adjustable idler pulley is installed.
So im on the right way getting his solved.

Believe that is the only place in that region to attach it to
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)