Author Topic: Equalizer bracket identification  (Read 1533 times)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Equalizer bracket identification
« on: August 23, 2015, 10:32:32 PM »
This equalizer bracket was attached to my donor S code engine when I bought it in the late 80's. The donor engine is a "322" (M/T), dated 7M. I do not know what vehicle the engine was originally from (Mustang, Cougar, Fairlane), and it may have been installed in an entirely different vehicle before it made its way to me. I haven't been able to find a match for this bracket in any online searches, and there is no part number. It may even be an aftermarket bracket for all I know. I'd like to ID it in order to sell it - my project has a C6.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Equalizer bracket identification
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 11:04:00 PM »
This equalizer bracket was attached to my donor S code engine when I bought it in the late 80's. The donor engine is a "322" (M/T), dated 7M. I do not know what vehicle the engine was originally from (Mustang, Cougar, Fairlane), and it may have been installed in an entirely different vehicle before it made its way to me. I haven't been able to find a match for this bracket in any online searches, and there is no part number. It may even be an aftermarket bracket for all I know. I'd like to ID it in order to sell it - my project has a C6.
Although it may work on a Mustang it didn't come on one originally IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 09:07:43 AM »
Although it may work on a Mustang it didn't come on one originally IMO.

Thanks, Bob. That was my conclusion. I don't think it would work on a Mustang, though. The pivot on this bracket sits farther forward than the Mustang ones I've seen (see photo) - they have the pivot offset rearward, behind the block/trans mating plane.

I would still appreciate any information that leads to a positive ID.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 10:34:09 AM »
Thanks, Bob. That was my conclusion. I don't think it would work on a Mustang, though. The pivot on this bracket sits farther forward than the Mustang ones I've seen (see photo) - they have the pivot offset rearward, behind the block/trans mating plane.

I would still appreciate any information that leads to a positive ID.
FYI your picture is of a bracket for a 69/70 Mustang ,although it will work on a 67/68 also. The assemblyline 67/68 BB block side bracket is slotted and shaped slightly different. The superseded evolved part is what you could get over the counter starting in 1969.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 10:36:50 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 02:19:22 PM »
FYI your picture is of a bracket for a 69/70 Mustang ,although it will work on a 67/68 also. The assemblyline 67/68 BB block side bracket is slotted and shaped slightly different. The superseded evolved part is what you could get over the counter starting in 1969.

Understood, I was just using it as an example to show how Mustang big block brackets (all the ones I've been able to find pictures of) are offset differently from my mystery bracket.
Dave Z.