Author Topic: Part ID challenge  (Read 3777 times)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Part ID challenge
« on: September 12, 2015, 10:15:18 PM »
I recently acquired an interesting part for my '68. I had not seen one previously, in person or even in photographs. It's NOS, and I got it for what I feel is a very reasonable price.

Let's see who can identify it! I know what it is, I'm just curious how many of you have seen one before. No doubt Jeff & Bob Perkins & a few others will know what it is. Aside from having a bit of fun, I'm also interested to hear how closely it resembles what was used on the assembly line.

The part is injection-molded plastic with a metal insert. The wire you see wrapped around it is from an inventory tag, which has the part number typed on it.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Part ID challenge
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 08:12:29 AM »
I want to say it is a fuel filter cartidge, though I cannot recall seeing one like this before.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 09:38:49 AM »
I want to say it is a fuel filter cartidge, though I cannot recall seeing one like this before.

Incorrect. Partial credit for "filter"  ;)
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 10:26:31 AM »
I've never seen one either, but like Richard I'm stuck in 67.  I was thinking part of a gas emission charcoal filter system but it is too small and I think that was a 69 up thing.  Maybe part of the henway?
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Murf

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 10:35:04 AM »
exhaust manifold choke stove fitting.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 10:45:06 AM »

Hmmm? Not sure I have seen one that looks like the pictures. Here is what I am used to seeing on the choke heat stoves. A nice write-up too! Stolen from a link to another site so if it is wrong to post it here, let me know or delete.

https://www.428cobrajet.org/sites/default/files/choke-stove-rebuild.pdf
I've never seen one either, but like Richard I'm stuck in 67.  I was thinking part of a gas emission charcoal filter system but it is too small and I think that was a 69 up thing.  Maybe part of the henway?

I wondered about that too, I know the Shelby's had an optional vent system installed to vent fuel tank pressure and routed the fumes into the passengers frame rail, so if this kit were (optionally installed) into a conventional Mustang, there may be a vent or breather on the end of the hose, but I don't think this would be it.

I remain clueless at this point...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 10:48:24 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 11:42:01 AM »

Nope. You almost got me on the henway  ;)
Dave Z.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 11:42:18 AM »

Nope.
Dave Z.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 11:44:47 AM »
Hmmm? Not sure I have seen one that looks like the pictures. Here is what I am used to seeing on the choke heat stoves. A nice write-up too! Stolen from a link to another site so if it is wrong to post it here, let me know or delete.

https://www.428cobrajet.org/sites/default/files/choke-stove-rebuild.pdf
I wondered about that too, I know the Shelby's had an optional vent system installed to vent fuel tank pressure and routed the fumes into the passengers frame rail, so if this kit were (optionally installed) into a conventional Mustang, there may be a vent or breather on the end of the hose, but I don't think this would be it.

I remain clueless at this point...

Neither of those.

Yes, that is a nicely written procedure for choke stove replacement.
Dave Z.

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 02:30:19 PM »
How about one of these?  I looked for one for years.  It is a filter that goes on the thermal vacuum switch in the thermostat housing.  I know their were several different applications, but mine is on a '68 6 cylinder.
John
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.
San Jose build, Actual build: Dec 17, 66.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 02:49:22 PM »
Particle filter for the lubrication mechanism used on a finger of an automatic chicken plucker? (They're found mostly in Kansas.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 02:54:19 PM »
How about one of these?  I looked for one for years.  It is a filter that goes on the thermal vacuum switch in the thermostat housing.  I know their were several different applications, but mine is on a '68 6 cylinder.
John

DING DING DING!!!! We have a winner!!!

Per the '75 MPC, it is a "Filter - Distributor Vacuum Control Valve". Service part number is C8AZ 12A120-A, no markings on part other than a "2" on top. The "2" may represent the mold cavity, or it could be a reference to the bottom port on the valve, which is also labeled "2". John, does yours have a number on the top? By the way, My guess is that the chamfer on the top is to clear the hose on the middle port of the valve. I haven't tried it yet to confirm.

Mine is black plastic and John's is white or maybe translucent? John, do you know the origin of your example?

I intend to take accurate measurements of mine, perhaps I will look into reproducing it since they seem to be fairly uncommon to find. Probably because they just press onto the bottom port of the valve - seems likely to vibrate loose.

I've attached a diagram showing usage for MY application - there are numerous others. I've also attached a page from the 1968 preliminary shop manual that has the best description I've seen of the filter, and instructions on how to clean it.

Thank you Charles for fixing the topic! While this thread was awaiting repair, I have since run across a few more photos of filters. I will upload those very soon.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:35:32 PM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 10:26:33 PM »
Pulled these from a current ebay auction. Car's VIN is 8R01S108459. A few things have been done to this car, but it looks like it has a filter. A bit hard to pick out due to the low resolution of the photo. It's white/translucent like John's.
Dave Z.

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 10:56:32 PM »
I have two of these.  Both came from '68 mustangs found in a salvage yard.  I have only seen a handful, but they have all been white.  Yours is the first black one I have ever seen.  No "2" stamped or molded into it.  No markings at all.  You are correct about the chamfered corner.  Without it you would not be able to get the hose on the middle port.  Equally hard to find for the '68 only is the heat shroud over the exhaust manifold that goes to the air cleaner.  They loose their paint and rust away, plus most people probably just throw them away during a rebuild.
John
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.
San Jose build, Actual build: Dec 17, 66.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 10:34:07 PM »
Purely by chance, an auction showed up in my watch list. It advertised a thermostat housing, but didn't make any special point of mentioning the vacuum control valve and the filter that were still attached! I got them for a very good price - kinda helps offset those times where I've had auction fever  ::)

The filter is white like John described, but photos don't really capture how translucent it really is. Similar to LDPE (milk jug material), but I don't know if that's what it really is. This one has a "6" molded in the top, or maybe a "9" (I think it's a six though). Interesting that the few photos I've seen seem to have the filter turned sideways, even though the angle appears to have been designed to clear the hose on the middle port.

At this point my hypothesis is that production filters were white, and at least some of the service filters were black. Not a lot of data to work with yet. BTW, the valve the filter is mounted on is dated "6-K-68" - June, 1968. (The "K" is manufacturer, not month in this case)
Dave Z.