Author Topic: Paint Questions  (Read 2245 times)

Offline aaatp

Paint Questions
« on: May 22, 2010, 09:56:36 AM »
I have a 1966 Dearborn convertible that was made in February of 1966 and I am looking for the correct shades of
paint to use on it.It is finally going to the body shop for final body work and paint. I am using PPG paints.

The bottom was primed  in black and I am looking for the correct paint code?

What paint do I use for the pinch-weld blackout?

What semi-gloss paint do I use for the parts that get this application?

I'm sure I will have more questions as time goes by.

Thanks Guys: John

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Paint Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 05:20:06 PM »
I have a 1966 Dearborn convertible that was made in February of 1966 and I am looking for the correct shades of paint to use on it.It is finally going to the body shop for final body work and paint. I am using PPG paints.

The bottom was primed  in black and I am looking for the correct paint code?

If still legal/available in your area you can use the black PPG epoxy primer sealer similar to the factory stuff

What paint do I use for the pinch-weld blackout?

Most often us a simple rattle can of semi-gloss black though this can cause challenges when applying the overspray to the undercarriage and panels that hang down behind the pinch weld. For that you have to hold it at a greater distance and for longer to get the right build and reduce the effect of the small spray nozzle

You can use any good quality semi-gloss black enamel - just with a fairly low pressure in the gun to control the overspray

What semi-gloss paint do I use for the parts that get this application?

Would suggest that you mix and match (to the original parts) the tints and finishes (slightly flatter or glossier based on the original finish) since each of these items were painted by different plants and suppliers so they did not all match originally.

I'm sure I will have more questions as time goes by.

We're here for you ;)

Sure others will offer what is working for them also
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline aaatp

Re: Paint Questions
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 10:01:10 AM »
Thanks Jeff, I am working with the painter now, using your suggestions.

John