Author Topic: WTB: 67 289 4 Barrel Throttle Return Spring Bracket (& spring?)  (Read 2085 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
WTB: 67 289 4 Barrel Throttle Return Spring Bracket (& spring?)
« on: October 30, 2015, 08:38:03 AM »
I need an A-code 289 throttle return spring bracket, spring & retaining bolts.

Possibly the same as a big block (maybe?) with a 4 barrel.

See picturesbelow
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

Re: WTB: 67 289 4 Barrel Throttle Return Spring Bracket (& spring?)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 12:01:30 PM »
So, must be difficult to locate these? I am reminded in a GT 500 thread where another member is seeking what looks to be the same bracket at least, basically, that the GT500 had possibly the same bracket...

Can anyone can confirm this?

(image borrowed from Mansfield Mustang, they have reproductions of these available but are NOT listed as being for a 289 4v, 4 barrel engine.
I have looked at all of the springs offered there but none of them look to have the same number of wraps or even close)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 12:08:11 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 07:08:19 PM »
Not sure if the Shelby one is the same

An April 68 MPC shows the replacement as
C5AZ-9737-B
.58 OD      6.52" long      24 1/2 coils
Also used on electric tailgate windows of big Ford wagons. Would be nicely protected there ;)

Same as
65 big Fords with 3x2's on 352 & 390's
67 Mustang with 390 & 289
Some V8  67 Fairlanes 
And they list a few cars Ford never built  ::)

As for one from another 67 289 4V - have you checked with the Cougar guys?  Lots more 289 4V's in those cars ;)

Hope this helps your search
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 09:08:54 AM »
Not sure if the Shelby one is the same

An April 68 MPC shows the replacement as
C5AZ-9737-B
.58 OD      6.52" long      24 1/2 coils
Also used on electric tailgate windows of big Ford wagons. Would be nicely protected there ;)

Same as
65 big Fords with 3x2's on 352 & 390's
67 Mustang with 390 & 289
Some V8  67 Fairlanes 
And they list a few cars Ford never built  ::)

As for one from another 67 289 4V - have you checked with the Cougar guys?  Lots more 289 4V's in those cars ;)

Hope this helps your search

Thanks Jeff! A parts book is where I planned to go next since the assembly manual didn't have whole numbers provided. (and I do not have any Shelby specific information)  That takes care of the spring at least.

...and no, I didn't talk to any Cougar guys yet, I have checked WCCC, and they have a listing as "sold out" on the bracket and I would assume that the spring is unavailable at this time there too. I suppose I could call them  ???

Can anyone checked the MPC catalogs for the bracket and possibly cross-reference the number for other applications?

As far as finding an old (65-68?) Ford station wagon anywhere...not likely over here in the rust belt and even if I did, not likely it would be "well protected" like out in the West or southern states.

Still looking...FOR BOTH!

At least It sound like I can get a reproduction bracket from M.M. (if somebody can confirm the Shelby application is the same by part or engineering number anyways)

PROGRESS, even if it is only as information at this time...it still helps in the searching!
Richard Urch

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 01:09:57 PM »
Thanks Jeff! A parts book is where I planned to go next since the assembly manual didn't have whole numbers provided. (and I do not have any Shelby specific information)  That takes care of the spring at least.

...and no, I didn't talk to any Cougar guys yet, I have checked WCCC, and they have a listing as "sold out" on the bracket and I would assume that the spring is unavailable at this time there too. I suppose I could call them  ???

Can anyone checked the MPC catalogs for the bracket and possibly cross-reference the number for other applications?

As far as finding an old (65-68?) Ford station wagon anywhere...not likely over here in the rust belt and even if I did, not likely it would be "well protected" like out in the West or southern states.

Still looking...FOR BOTH!

At least It sound like I can get a reproduction bracket from M.M. (if somebody can confirm the Shelby application is the same by part or engineering number anyways)

PROGRESS, even if it is only as information at this time...it still helps in the searching!
The ones i have gotten off of 289 67 Mustangs in the past were the same ones on the 67 GT500 . I don't think that there are variations of the same one. I never paid much attention if  2v or 4v on ones I picked. The ones Mansfield makes are spot on . I helped the Mansfields source MFG make them to spec including correct makers mark. ;) Much easier to get from him at a nominal price since they are not that common in the field and the bracket he sells looks NOS opposed to junk yard tarnished and or rust pitted. RBW marked bolts with star washer are sourced from AMK. Before you ask I don't remember the number . I have to look it up each time. I hope that style hasn't become generic yet.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:12:45 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 01:15:09 PM »
The ones i have gotten off of 289 67 Mustangs in the past were the same ones on the 67 GT500 . I don't think that there are variations of the same one. I never paid much attention if  2v or 4v on ones I picked. The ones Mansfield makes are spot on . I helped the Mansfields source MFG make them to spec including correct makers mark. ;) Much easier to get from him at a nominal price since they are not that common in the field and the bracket he sells looks NOS opposed to junk yard tarnished and or rust pitted. RBW marked bolts with star washer are sourced from AMK. Before you ask I don't remember the number . I have to look it up each time. I hope that style hasn't become generic yet.

(for 2v or 4v) The 2 barrel return spring bracket is a short bracket that bolts on to the rear carburetor mounting stud, it is different bracket and a different spring. The spring on a 2 barrel hooks into the "z" shape on the throttle linkage. On the 4 barrel, the retorn spring hooks onto the bottom hole in the throttle plate of the caruretor. (as pictured above, in my first post)

(rest of Bob G.'s quote) Very good, I will get one on the way...now on to locating the spring...AND identifying a correctly marked pair of bolts.

Regarding the BOLTS: I have an Air Conditioning bracket that holds down to the intake at the rearward bolt, it might be longer than the front one...maybe a little more research is needed here ???

Regarding the SPRING: So who has an old Ford station wagon sitting in their backyard? ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:25:43 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 04:22:00 PM »
... I helped the Mansfields source MFG make them to spec including correct makers mark. ;) Much easier to get from him at a nominal price since they are not that common in the field and the bracket he sells looks NOS opposed to junk yard tarnished and or rust pitted.

ULTRA quick service from Mansfield, Bob was great to talk to. Ordered Monday morning, here on Wednesday morning of the same week.

The item is as pictured on the site. It has NO MAKER's MARK and it is painted silver. Not quite what I had in mind after reading your description but it looks very close. Paint remover will easily strip the paint and I suppose the Maker's Mark isn't too big of a deal (had it NOT been mentioned ;) )

I ordered a few other items (that are the same on small blocks) from him as well and they are as good as most other competitors in likeness and pricing.
Richard Urch

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 05:14:48 PM »
ULTRA quick service from Mansfield, Bob was great to talk to. Ordered Monday morning, here on Wednesday morning of the same week.

The item is as pictured on the site. It has NO MAKER's MARK and it is painted silver. Not quite what I had in mind after reading your description but it looks very close. Paint remover will easily strip the paint and I suppose the Maker's Mark isn't too big of a deal (had it NOT been mentioned ;) )

I ordered a few other items (that are the same on small blocks) from him as well and they are as good as most other competitors in likeness and pricing.
I have no control over his change in inventory. I mentioned him knowing that he buys many things from the same vendor that makes the part in question. No good deed goes unpunished I guess. Mansfield must be selling a lower priced inferior version based on what You discribe. I would send it back and look for a used one to replate or get one direct from the mfg that I just called and confirmed that he was still making them correct. R+A Motorsports 816 246 9094 . Ask for Jeff.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:17:48 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby