Author Topic: Water Pump Bypass Hose Questions  (Read 1878 times)

Offline 69GTconvert

Water Pump Bypass Hose Questions
« on: November 18, 2015, 06:43:32 PM »
I will be replacing my water pump on my Dearborn assembled 1969 Mustang 390 including the bypass hose from the water pump to the intake manifold. I have a few questions about how this installation:

1. Should I use the tower-style Wittek clamps to attach the hose to the intake and the water pump? If so, is there a specific clamp I should be looking for?
2. Should the bypass hose be painted Ford Blue or should it be unpainted?
3. Should the bypass hose clamps be left natural or should they also be painted Ford Blue?

Thanks.
George
Georgia

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
390 4V, Close Ratio 4 Speed
Royal Maroon - Black Standard Interior w/ High Back Seats

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Water Pump Bypass Hose Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 11:14:37 PM »
I will be replacing my water pump on my Dearborn assembled 1969 Mustang 390 including the bypass hose from the water pump to the intake manifold. I have a few questions about how this installation:

1. Should I use the tower-style Wittek clamps to attach the hose to the intake and the water pump? If so, is there a specific clamp I should be looking for?
2. Should the bypass hose be painted Ford Blue or should it be unpainted?
3. Should the bypass hose clamps be left natural or should they also be painted Ford Blue?

Thanks.
Same size clamp as the heater hose. Hose was painted with the engine and so were the clamps.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 69GTconvert

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 07:42:00 AM »
Awesome. Thanks Bob.
George
Georgia

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
390 4V, Close Ratio 4 Speed
Royal Maroon - Black Standard Interior w/ High Back Seats

Offline specialed

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 11:59:31 PM »
Bob should should the FE bypass hose have the ribs in it?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 12:51:14 AM »
Ed,I know you know the answer because you brought it to my attention 25 years ago. Why don't you just state the answer?????
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 07:34:43 AM »
Ed,I know you know the answer because you brought it to my attention 25 years ago. Why don't you just state the answer?????

;D  ;D  ;D  ;) ::)  8)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline specialed

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 12:35:22 AM »
What I am not allowed to ask ?s !!! only answer them!!  the FE bypass hose started out c2oz-c then went to c2oz-d & changed lengths & from what I see on restorations of fe engine cars is the bypass hose being too long & have the ribs but if you go by the FE engines being originally assembled in Dearborn anyway the bypass hose was shorter & having no ribs as it was a vendor change depending on the engine plant.