Author Topic: 1969 Dearborn - Engine bay factory paint question  (Read 939 times)

Offline ruger

1969 Dearborn - Engine bay factory paint question
« on: January 04, 2016, 12:22:13 PM »
69 sportsroof   Dearborn Nov. 68 build
Car is a Silver Jade. 
My question is:
While removing the black paint from the engine bay I found under the black was Silver Jade.
 I know that Ford did not paint the body color in the engine bay but am wondering what may have been the reason for mine to have the body color under the black.  I have no reason to think there may have body work done in the past because everything was untouched. The green was painted over though to a yellow so quite possibly the engine bay was painted black by the same guy.  Low quality paint and work.  The car sat in a building for a very long time. 
This car may have been different from the factory with it  being a Mustang E' series. I know it has a different body code than the rest of the 69 mustangs. It is a 63D body code.  Can anyone shed any light on this.  I know it is a random question but I will ask anyways.  Thanks
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:20:35 PM by J_Speegle »
1969 Sportsroof Mustang E'
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 Dearborn - Engine bay factory paint question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 02:24:33 PM »
It would be typical for the cowl section between the pinch weld (firewall to cowl seam) to be body color for that time and plant. Its real typical for past owners either during a repaint to copy what they may have seen in a magazine or other cars or simply paint this area black with the engine compartment or even a touch up.

Its fairly common to see (if the area was not prepped) for the black to be applied over the inspection decals or remaining adhesive.

Being an "E" IMHO would not make a difference to the painters
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)