Author Topic: Marti report accuracy  (Read 4629 times)

Offline preaction

Marti report accuracy
« on: January 03, 2016, 03:50:58 PM »
My Marti report calls for styled steel wheels and the car currently has 5 correctly dated steel wheels with the correct hub caps. I realize that 1967 was some time ago but has there been some findings like this in the past. I personally lean towards the report as correct but I don't have the benefit of other peoples experience with them.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline stangfan

Re: Marti report accuracy
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 04:00:25 PM »
In my experience, wheels are one of the most often changed items.  I've yet to hear of a Marti report being incorrect, so I would go with what it lists.  JMHO.   :)
1968 GT/CS
2018 Premium GT Fastback

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 05:11:13 PM »
Dealerships swapped things like the wheels too.

My 67 has styled steel wheels too, been there since I got the car (all 5, including the spare with correct spare tire hardware) My example seems to be a dealership swap out with likely another 67. Marti Report calls out for hubcaps but also shows it didn't  sell for 11 months. Current belief is my example was used by the dealer as a form of DEMO, probably family use by dealership owner.

All speculation, no proof since I only have had it since it was 10 years old...I always thought it came with the SS wheels...till I got the Marti.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 06:24:31 PM »
Keep in mind that the report information is pulled from Ford's database, which recorded how each car was ordered and scheduled to be built. Discrepancies, if any are found, would not necessarily be due to an error on Kevin Marti's part. Ford could have made errors in their data, or assembly errors or substitutions could result in a vehicle that was not configured precisely as ordered. And once it left the factory, dealer upgrades or swaps could and did take place.

I don't have data for how many cars deviated due to factory errors - very few, I would suspect. Most would have been dealer activity.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:05:28 PM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline preaction

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 09:10:29 PM »
I have had second thoughts about the steel wheels verses the styled wheels because the car has the GT option.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 09:24:08 PM »
Only aware of a couple (out of thousands) of reports where human error played a part but the couple were easily found and correct. On the other hand have seen maybe ten times the number of mistakes made by Ford on the older 999 reports.

IMHO if you have something on the car that you believe is/was original and it does not match the Marti report I believe you will be hard pressed to document that feeling/finding without some original paperwork. On that same idea have seen a dozen or more faked dealer paperwork apparently made up by owners to support whatever they were trying to accomplish. Of it appears that the owner was trying to make their car even rarer than it already was - saw allot of this in the earlier Ford clubs with things like Fire Chief's cars and other models which appears an attempt to make their cars stand out at shows in the sea of fairly similar cars
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline preaction

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 10:53:05 PM »
Thanks for all the reply's, marti report it is.

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 09:50:06 AM »
Just FYI, one of my 70 Mach1's was sold new with a dealer added shaker and 15" Boss 302 wheels. It was a Basic off- standard equipment car that sat on the lot for almost a year (weird color combo, medium gold/ginger  (mustard outside, poop inside)). The dealer added the wheels and the shaker to finally sell the car. I know this cause I bought the car off the original owner and have the original bill of sale. The wheels also have a shipping label to the original dealer dated several months before the first sale that's still present when you unmount the tires. The wheels are actually dated about a month before the car was built, so they were sitting around for about a year also. My 68 GT fastback was a really original/unmolested car when it was wrecked and stuck in a barn in 1973. It still had an original tire as the spare mounted correctly in the trunk, but it was mounted on a chrome rim and according to the Marti report, my car came with painted ss wheels.

I bought a new GT convertible and swapped the wheels with cobra wheels I got from the dealer as soon as I got the car home. I guess my point is that a ton of cars were being changed shortly after being sold, or sometimes even before they were sold new. On the flip side I'm sure a lot of mistakes happened at the factory but it's going to be a really tough sell to convince someone it was built that way by ford. A good friend of mine was a parts manager at a local Lincoln Mercury dealer in 68/72 and he told me they were always getting cougars with small screw-ups like a mustang horn pad or door panel that they had to correct. His best screw-up was a 70 Cougar 351 car that wouldn't shift right from day one. after pulling the valve body apart twice, someone noticed it had a N case rear. The car was accidently built with a 4.30 Tlock rear instead of the 3.00 geared rear it should of had. The good part was that my friend ended up with the parts after 30 days or so. I still have the axles, and a friend still has the center section.

With your wheel dates, there's a good chance that the dealer either needed your wheels for something else or the nice wheels were stolen early on, and your car ended up with plain wheels, especially if all the dates match. I'd put the styled steel wheels back on , their a lot nicer anyway (But might take some hunting to find....)

I'll stop rambling now....

John
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 10:05:21 AM by 70cj428 »

Offline calypso

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 01:38:53 PM »
I worked at Ford dealerships in the late 60's.  We swapped parts or installed parts from the parts dept often, whatever it took to get a car sold.  Radios, wheels, tires, shakers, consoles, power steering and brakes, sport slats, spoilers, almost anything including oil coolers.

Offline bazza

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 08:13:38 PM »
No mention of a tach on my Marti report, it looks original though.
With everything that would need to be changed to retro fit it, I think I would see some evidence of the swap.
67 Dearborn S code coupe Built 8/17/67

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 08:24:21 PM »
No mention of a tach on my Marti report, it looks original though.
With everything that would need to be changed to retro fit it, I think I would see some evidence of the swap.
If you do some searching, you will find posts that discuss that for some applications, such as a 390 with a manual transmission, the tach was "standard".  Or better said, the tach would be automatically included with some combination of other options.  In a case like this it would not show up on the report.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline bazza

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 09:06:42 PM »
Yes, I have noticed that, but there are no groups of options on mine that would include the tach.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 09:10:46 PM »
I would agree that is a strange one
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 09:23:29 PM »
Yes, I have noticed that, but there are no groups of options on mine that would include the tach.

Your body code is 65B Interior Decor Group, I think that is it.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline bazza

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 09:47:15 PM »
I have seen plenty of interior decor cars without tachs, maybe in combination with the 390 its possible.
I'm gunna put it in the same basket as its 68 mirror and glovebox button .... the strange basket.  :)