Author Topic: Media Blasting or Soda Blasting~ THEN, what PPG product?  (Read 5724 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Media Blasting or Soda Blasting~ THEN, what PPG product?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 01:34:24 PM »
.., I learned (or relearned) that the filler should go over bare steel only. I found it very difficult to remove the DPLF in the areas that required filler - the DPLF was very gummy and clogged the wheels I was using....

The areas I worked on needing filler, I used a grinder wheel and it came right off. Before priming with surfacer-primer again after filler in the areas needing filler, I used 180 and a DA sander. etched everything without issues (then went on to dry block sanding). I am not a professional bodyman either but experienced no issues at all with clogging of the paper. 
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 69bossnut

• DSD Restorations LLC
Re: Media Blasting or Soda Blasting~ THEN, what PPG product?
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 12:20:10 PM »
When DPLF & DPLF-401 activator is used over bare metal is the best option. It is designed to have a 7 day open period to apply fillers or paint over before having to sand & recoat. That is the best method to apply fillers over the DPLF after the appropriate wait time (24hrs if I remember correctly). Everything is designed to chemically bond. I have never had any issues or gummy when following PPG’s instructions. After the initial coat of the bare metal you can follow sequential top coats of DPLF using the DPLF-402 activator as it’s more of a sealer coat. Good luck on your projects.
DAVID DAVIS
DSD RESTORATIONS LLC
5075 E. COUNTY RD. 126
BLYTHEVILLE, AR. 72315
870-780-4999
dsdresto@gmail.com
www.dsdrestoration.com