Author Topic: primer for bare metal  (Read 3035 times)

priceless

primer for bare metal
« on: June 19, 2010, 04:42:39 PM »
I've got my breather assembly,valve covers and oil pan down to the bare metal with soda blasting. Should I use a primer or not? I will be using the duplicolor 1606 rattle can( Ford corporate blue) for final coat. I've been told you can use an etching primer, an epoxy primer, or no primer at all, as long as the metal is prepped properly. I haven't been able to find an epoxy primer in a rattle can, and how should the bare metal be prepped if I'm not using primer?
 Any help will be appreciated.

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: primer for bare metal
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 11:17:36 PM »
First off it is recommended that all metal parts that get painted should be primed with a self etching or epoxy primer used with a metal prep., however FORD did not use primer on several of the parts they dipped such as small brkts, pulleys etc.. and may not have used it on the parts you are spraying but for longer durability I would use a etch primer that comes in a spray can first and let it set up a few minutes and spray your color. Just another tip, if you can find someone to spray it for you with a professional gun you will get better results using a catalyzed paint. The most labor intensive part of painting is the surface prep, so if you have it stripped down to bare metal and the surface is clean and ready to prime and paint it will be less expensive than just handing a painter a rusty un prepped part, just a thought....CHRIS
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 01:30:24 AM »
Agree with Chris, Ford rarely used spray primer for individual components.  Most steel parts were zinc plated, which replaced primer.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

priceless

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 09:31:07 AM »
Thanks Chris, Charles.
  So, if I use an etch primer, do I need to sand the primer or not? Chris, you didn't really say to sand or not in your text. You mentioned letting it set up a few minutes then spray the color. Also, I'm probably going to just stay with the duplicolor 1606. I've had very good results for the occasional driven Mustang with this ceramic based paint.
 Any help would be absolutely appreciated.....Rich

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 10:43:46 AM »
I believe most instructions for epoxy and etching primer state you can apply color after about an hour.  Otherwise, you would normally have to scuff the primer before paint.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 01:40:55 PM »
If you are going with the spray can etch primer, you do not need to sand it before applying color and you don't want to spray several or heavy coats, some brands say to apply one light coat let it dry for 20 minutes and spray your color. Every brand is a little different, just follow the directions on the can and you should be fine.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

priceless

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 03:03:02 PM »
Thanks ALOT you guys.....this has been a huge help for me. Concours Mustang forum is a must for every do-it-yourself restorer.....Rich