Author Topic: Daniel Carpenter windshield gasket issues.  (Read 1886 times)

1967 eight barrel

Daniel Carpenter windshield gasket issues.
« on: June 03, 2016, 11:10:30 PM »
I had to pull my windshield back out because of piss poor window molding clips. The new seal was a Daniel Carpenter. The corners are a different material. They seem to lift a bit, even though it's seated evenly all the way around. Has anyone else had an issue with them? Par for the course?

I don't want to get the moldings on and find out I need to change it.

-Keith

Offline Fastback2013

Re: Daniel Carpenter windshield gasket issues.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 05:54:41 AM »
Hello Keith,

A few months ago I have installed my rear window (fastback) and used the Daniel Carpenter gasket.
I haven't had any issues concerning bad fit or corners that looked differently than the original.
I am very happy with the result but I can't say that there are others which might be better?
I will check the gasket for the front windshield (this is still to be done) and I will pay attention to the corners and overall view (comparing my original gasket)
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 07:25:29 PM »
Well, I had to pull the windshield because the clips were too weak to retain the moldings and a couple broke or bent. I found NOS clips, and they are on. I pulled the glass in last night with two helpers, and the Daniel Carpenter seal uses material on that corners that are different than the rest of the seal. On the inside the joint started to separate when i was pulling it in. I got the corner in with a pick without using the 12 Ga THHN wire that works so well, which I went back to pulling in with the wire after I made the lower left corner. All is It still sticks up just a little bit on the corners, but with a material difference and them being soft, I guess I'm not surprised. Pretty scary to pull a windshield in with a parchment/white headliner once, but twice is just pushing your luck. Thank God I got it in a second time without any bedding and glazing compound getting on the inside!  So much for "speed nuts" on the back of the dash panel over the glove box. I HATE those damn things!
                                                                                               -Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 08:52:23 PM »
Well, I had to pull the windshield because the clips were too weak to retain the moldings and a couple broke or bent. I found NOS clips, and they are on. I pulled the glass in last night with two helpers, and the Daniel Carpenter seal uses material on that corners that are different than the rest of the seal. On the inside the joint started to separate when i was pulling it in. I got the corner in with a pick without using the 12 Ga THHN wire that works so well, which I went back to pulling in with the wire after I made the lower left corner. All is It still sticks up just a little bit on the corners, but with a material difference and them being soft, I guess I'm not surprised. Pretty scary to pull a windshield in with a parchment/white headliner once, but twice is just pushing your luck. Thank God I got it in a second time without any bedding and glazing compound getting on the inside!  So much for "speed nuts" on the back of the dash panel over the glove box. I HATE those damn things!
                                                                                               -Keith
Those so called speed #%+ nuts have caused me considerable stress before too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 01:43:30 AM »
The carpenter windshield gaskets leave quite a bit to be desired.  There are raised dots in each corner from the mold.  The corner material looks quite different than the rest of the gasket too.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 06:57:01 PM »
Charles,
Precisely. The corners are a lot softer rubber than the straight portion of the seal.I can only assume they are not made as one piece and vulcanized together and seem to be made of a dense foam rubber.

-Keith