Author Topic: 1967 Gas Tank Bedding  (Read 996 times)

Offline cmfuser01

1967 Gas Tank Bedding
« on: July 31, 2016, 06:17:33 AM »
What is the preferred bedding (manufacture & part no.) used between the gas tank flange and body, and would anyone have a photo or two of a typical pattern of squeeze-out of same visible around the tank if any? I've seen some use 'strip caulk', 3M 08578 maybe?.

Also, is there anything else I should know about installing a new gas tank or is it generally as straight forward as it looks? The old tank is already out so I don't have to worry about the typical safety concerns.

Thanks

'67 SJ Fastback built 10/66
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 11:02:17 AM by cmfuser01 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 Gas Tank Bedding
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 05:39:23 PM »
The original material appears to be a dark gray/black chalking.  Don't need allot but 3M strip chalking has always service owners/restorers well here. Found that if you take three-four strands, roll/work them together then apply them to the trunk opening. Do this a number of times to build a continuous strand all the way around the opening and you have what replicates the original look and finish. Don't need to squish out everywhere - originally it didn't every time

Install the fuel sending unit before installation  - sounds like a no-brainer but plenty of us have overlooked this in a rush to get the job done. It will be easier to get the gasket to stay in place this way.  Make sure all the correct retainers for the sending unit wire are in place and the wire is inserted - again much easier now than later

Good luck with the project

Here is an example of a 67 San Jose car to match what your building

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cmfuser01

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 06:01:43 PM »
The original material appears to be a dark gray/black chalking.  Don't need allot but 3M strip chalking has always service owners/restorers well here. Found that if you take three-four strands, roll/work them together then apply them to the trunk opening. Do this a number of times to build a continuous strand all the way around the opening and you have what replicates the original look and finish. Don't need to squish out everywhere - originally it didn't every time

Install the fuel sending unit before installation  - sounds like a no-brainer but plenty of us have overlooked this in a rush to get the job done. It will be easier to get the gasket to stay in place this way.  Make sure all the correct retainers for the sending unit wire are in place and the wire is inserted - again much easier now than later

Good luck with the project

Here is an example of a 67 San Jose car to match what your building

This is perfect Jeff - exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a million.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 06:40:49 PM »
This is perfect Jeff - exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a million.

Glad the site could provide you with help, guidance and assistance.

Just what we're here for   :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)