Author Topic: Info wanted on 68 wheel and tyre  (Read 454 times)

Offline brimax

Info wanted on 68 wheel and tyre
« on: April 23, 2020, 04:37:12 AM »
Is this a genuine original factory wheel and tyre? Details: was in the trunk of 68 Mustang I purchased. First 3 pics are color of car: Seafoam Green while the last two pics the color appears more Yellow/Cream with over spray on the tyre. The tyre it's self says: Firestone Deluxe Champion c78-14. Also what's with the Brown paper/tape around valve stem? Thankful for any help I get.

Offline RoyceP

Re: Info wanted on 68 wheel and tyre
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 10:54:21 AM »
Looks like a mid 1970's tire. Not sure about the wheel paint. The wheel itself looks typical of 1968. Not sure about the paint work on the wheel, I would guess that it is not as it would have been originally if it is two different colors.

There will be a DOT speed rating on the tire and a date code molded in so you could nail down the exact date of manufacture.

Is this a genuine original factory wheel and tyre? Details: was in the trunk of 68 Mustang I purchased. First 3 pics are color of car: Seafoam Green while the last two pics the color appears more Yellow/Cream with over spray on the tyre. The tyre it's self says: Firestone Deluxe Champion c78-14. Also what's with the Brown paper/tape around valve stem? Thankful for any help I get.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 04:57:42 PM »
Wheel appears to be from a car originally ordered with the standard small dog dish hub caps and in turn - body colored wheels

Back side have been repainted in the ones shown in the pictures. Backside originally would have been semi-gloss black like all the of the steel wheels that year. And example of an original can be seen in the unrestored picture threads - One example would be the one titled    Jan? 68 San Jose C code bench seat coupe - Unrestored Picture Thread

Not sure what is going on with  the front side of the wheel and the  shadow or pattern under the paint. Face may have been repainted over earlier damage and the paper/tape around the valve stem what not removed afterwards and discolored over the years 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 05:00:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 01:05:59 PM »
Factory Wheels should have an ID stamped into the metal, similar to the attached picture (borrowed from an earlier thread). The "8" is the year, "M" is the manufacturer, and the "D" is the Month (in the example shown), for April. Sometimes, instead of a letter for the Month, numbers have been seen (1 for Jan, 2 for Feb, etc.

Per the 1968 Ford Car Specification Book, available tires are shown in the second picture attached. The third picture is from the Salesman's price book, dated September 22, 1967.

Hope this helps.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909