Author Topic: 65 Thermostat Housing Styles ?  (Read 842 times)

Offline Brian Conway

65 Thermostat Housing Styles ?
« on: February 26, 2018, 04:46:33 PM »
My SJ, A code, no AC or power assists has had some changes to the timing cover, water pump and thermostat housing over the years.  One of the problems this has caused is getting a bi-pass house to fit.  Pictured is the correct bi-pass hose ?  The thermostat housing has a ' thinner ' nipple '  and the hose fits much better.  I have not seen this style housing before.  It is aftermarket but is the ' flat top ' no fitting style correct  ?  Hope that makes sense ?  Thanks, Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 65 Thermostat Housing Styles ?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 04:52:58 PM »
My SJ, A code, no AC or power assists has had some changes to the timing cover, water pump and thermostat housing over the years.  One of the problems this has caused is getting a bi-pass house to fit.  Pictured is the correct bi-pass hose ?  The thermostat housing has a ' thinner ' nipple '  and the hose fits much better.  I have not seen this style housing before.  It is aftermarket but is the ' flat top ' no fitting style correct  ?  Hope that makes sense ?  Thanks, Brian
Maybe a truck thermostat housing? I have seen the blank no fitting casting style on BB thermostat housings that were sourced from trucks . I am not familiar with that style on a SB however.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 05:07:12 PM »
Maybe a truck thermostat housing? I have seen the blank no fitting casting style on BB thermostat housings that were sourced from trucks . I am not familiar with that style on a SB however.
To be more clear I don't think that style thermostat housing is correct for your A code SB Mustang. I believe it is the typical (depending on build) C4OE or C5OE style (other numbers work too )with no fitting provision.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 05:36:31 PM »
To be more clear I don't think that style thermostat housing is correct for your A code SB Mustang. I believe it is the typical (depending on build) C4OE or C5OE style (other numbers work too )with no fitting provision.

+1

5F07A270xx

5F07C7806xx

5R09C1800xx

5F08C2726xx

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 07:08:01 PM »
Great thanks guys.  Drake makes an ' exact ' aluminum reproduction C5OE-8592-A and I'll give that one a try.  The aftermarket cast iron ones I have used in the past have a nipple so large it's difficult to get the hose fitted.  Tight spot and tight turn may require a more accurate housing ?  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline C6ZZGT

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 01:55:05 AM »
Make sure you watch for the thermostat pocket being in the intake or the housing !
Brian
66 GT Coupe 6R07A143871 owned since 1983
40+ yr parts man , over 25 with Ford.