Author Topic: FOR SALE ~NOS C6ZA-5246-H Genuine Ford 66 Mustang Dual Ex. H-Pipe for 289  (Read 1764 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
ENGINEERED FOR 66 MUSTANG 289 GT, non-Hi-Po with Thermactor. Said to fit 65-70 all, with or without Thermactor but read-on for details.

I won & paid for this auction with $50 shipping already pre-paid and am willing to sell AT COST THIS WEEKEND ONLY to first interested party. If you pay me, including shipping the cost of $199, I will instruct seller to ship directly to your address. After Sunday evening, seller is instructed to ship to me directly.

If nobody has interest at this time, I will likely re-list it at a much higher price for sale in a Buy It Now (I'm thinking like $325 + shipping).   

I understand that MCA has tightened the acceptable exhaust system rules up a bit for 2018, so here is your chance to get a rare part at a reasonable price.
Discussions with a reputable Concours exhaust system producers suggest this H-pipe will also fit 67-70 289 and non-Boss 302 cars (perhaps more years, NPD's catalog offers an H-Pipe that fits 65-70 289, 302 exc. boss, also Cougars 67-8 289/302) pretty much all 289/302 if you are NOT a Hi-Po but not "concours correct" on the small blocks applications that were not offered with dual systems.

Info on original eBay listing & pictures at https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1966-Ford-dual-exhaust-pipe-Mustang-289-4v-GT-convertible-cabriolet-fastback-/401500009251?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=fLcWpWtliLFaG9o%252B3sAtGIX6Yx0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

If nothing else, copy some pictures while you can for your files. I cannot imagine these come around often.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:54:43 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

Richard,
A couple of points:
1 Part number C6AZ-5246-H does not appear to be for a Mustang.
2 There will be a Ford part number stamped on that NOS "H-pipe".
Jim
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 06:08:45 PM by 67gtasanjose »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

Richard,
A couple of points:
1 Part number C6AZ-5246-H does not appear to be for a Mustang.
2 There will be a Ford part number stamped on that NOS "H-pipe".
Jim

Dyslexic moment, I reversed the AZ to ZA ...fixed, thank you.
Pics now attached here
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 06:12:29 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

Richard,
Not being too picky, but that "H-Pipe" is 66 only. It will not fit 67 up. I don't know about Cougars. (It's also "shaped" for California smog.) That's from what one local shop told me. I have a C6ZA-5246-F, which fits 65-66 dual exhaust, no smog, and I wanted to see what else that would work on.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

Richard,
Not being too picky, but that "H-Pipe" is 66 only. It will not fit 67 up. I don't know about Cougars. (It's also "shaped" for California smog.) That's from what one local shop told me. I have a C6ZA-5246-F, which fits 65-66 dual exhaust, no smog, and I wanted to see what else that would work on.
Jim

Explain if you can "shaped for California smog".  As far as I understand, the exhaust manifolds were the same. I am not clear where the shape would be different for with smog or without, just asking.
Richard Urch

Offline jwc66k

Explain if you can "shaped for California smog".  As far as I understand, the exhaust manifolds were the same. I am not clear where the shape would be different for with smog or without, just asking.
I wish I could. Ford evidently did something different for 66 289 GT "H-Pipes" with smog and what was determined by local Mustang shops back in the 80's is there was a "shape" difference. It's could be nothing more than a different bend.
Jim

Offline 67gta289

Here is what the 60-68 MPC says about 5246 and Mustangs for 1966.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

I wish I could. Ford evidently did something different for 66 289 GT "H-Pipes" with smog and what was determined by local Mustang shops back in the 80's is there was a "shape" difference. It's could be nothing more than a different bend.
Jim

OK, this makes some sense. Obviously, if a different engineering number was issued (C6ZA-H), there has to be some sort of difference.

Speaking to the "It will not fit 67-up" statement mentioned in your earlier reply, I will add to that information provided to me from Scott Fuller yesterday. Scott claims the C6ZA-H H-pipe has the exact same bends as the C8 H-pipe used on J-code 68 GT Mustangs, though the spot-welded on limiters are in a slightly different place. As you see in the images I have posted, the limiters I speak of on the C6-H version, are located on the bottom. Scott said the C8 version, those limiters are located more outboard on the pipe, not directly on the bottom. I questioned this detail with him again, asking that I thought those welded on tabs were for indexing the correct rotation but he said no, they are simply limiting stops so the pipe is not inserted too far or too little. He added that there are other Mustang applications wher they are used for both rotation and depth of insertion, but not so in this usage.
Scott went on to say that he thought he already has 2 of these very same C6-H H-pipes and used them as reference examples for making his version of the C8 H-pipe and has confirmed them to be the same (with previously noted differences in the stop/limiter tabs). Scott mentioned he sells the C8 version he makes to fill the requests for H-pipes to all small block requests that are not Hi-PO applications, meaning that if you have a 67 289 (A-code or C-code) car that would not come with dual exhaust originally from the factory , he would sell you the C8 H-pipe and the pipes listed in his online catalog by year, from the resonator pipes-back. I cannot answer if he has or sells the other C6-F H-pipe you mentioned you have Jim. That suffix pipe did not come up in our conversation. When I was done, my take-away was if a person requested a 65-70 small block 289/302 (non-boss), you got his C8 version H-pipe. You can look at his online catalog again and when you shop for a non-Hi-PO version H-pipe, as of yesterday (3/8/18), he shows no listing. I did ask about the web catalog not showing them available but he said he sells them the C8 version when asked by phone or otherwise.

Summary: According to my understanding of my conversation with Scott Fuller: "Yes, it will fit all Mustangs 65-70 with a basic 289/302 dual exhaust, though it can have the tabs welded in the different place and a different engineering number for any 68-up usage".
Again, I can believe your statement from your Mustang Shop friends also, but it would help to have more than just a simple possibility of a  "different bend than a C6-F" pipe, to Explain any different visual aspects better. Nonetheless, according to Scott, it sounds like it will FIT any non-smog application as well, like what is typical in the Ford Service Parts catalog superseded numbering system. Perhaps somebody could do some MPC research on the numbers from a few years of the MPC (66 though 70 perhaps).

(On edit, John has provided one of the MPC references that helps)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 07:00:00 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

Here is what the 60-68 MPC says about 5246 and Mustangs for 1966.

Any word in the 68 MPC on the 68's?
Richard Urch

Offline 67gta289

Any word in the 68 MPC on the 68's?

68 pictures attached.

Note that ALL 67 versions have a C7 prefix.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

68 pictures attached.

Note that ALL 67 versions have a C7 prefix.
I read the MPC to say that the 68 2-barrel 289 GT uses the C8 version H-pipe like the 68 J-code (4 barrel) but the 68 289 4-barrel (A-code?) uses the C7 number. ODD! (Then the obvious single exhaust put in the middle of the dual systems).
Richard Urch

Offline 67gta289

I did notice the 289-2V "GT" dual exhaust pipe also.  I thought that only in 67 was a 2V V8 available with the GT equipment group option, albeit with single exhaust.

As stated in many posts, like the Ford drawings found in the Obsorn manuals, and like the Ford shop manuals, and the Ford dealer showroom option books, and... nothing is perfect.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

I read the MPC to say that the 68 2-barrel 289 GT uses the C8 version H-pipe like the 68 J-code (4 barrel) but the 68 289 4-barrel (A-code?) uses the C7 number. ODD! (Then the obvious single exhaust put in the middle of the dual systems).
I did notice the 289-2V "GT" dual exhaust pipe also.  I thought that only in 67 was a 2V V8 available with the GT equipment group option, albeit with single exhaust.

As stated in many posts, like the Ford drawings found in the Obsorn manuals, and like the Ford shop manuals, and the Ford dealer showroom option books, and... nothing is perfect.

A bit along the lines of what I understood also. Perhaps Ford was offering upgrades to the single exhaust system owners, like an accessory of sorts. Who knows this late in the game. It does cause a point of curiosity at least, most notably the C7 4-barrel (A-code?) listing in the MPC. Jeff has pointed out it wasn't practical to buy a replacement system from Ford, that did not mean to say it wasn't offered for sale in the Parts Department nor, had you placed an order for the components, what, if anything, was available at any given point in time.
Richard Urch

Offline jwc66k

Ford was not in the business of building concourse grade cars.
You can get your own copy of the 75 MPC here, for FREE.
http://squarebirds.org/Manuals/1965/1965-72FordPartsTextCatalog/
Two pages of cross reference are below.
I made a call to a retired muffled shop owner last night who said that the difference may be the key tab at the transition to the muffler pipes. In other words, give me a hammer and I'll make it fit. It ain't correct, but it works.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator

Might just be a typo or something Ford was considering making/offering but never did. Sort of along the lines of the 71 Boss 302 parts that were in the MPCs and even made though they never entered mass production with a car
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)