Author Topic: Wire harness loom.  (Read 3768 times)

Offline ruger

Wire harness loom.
« on: April 23, 2018, 10:36:10 AM »
Can anyone steer me in the right direction for the correct wiring harness's for a 69 Dearborn fastback?  I have checked with Rhode Island Wiring. They can braid the harness but they think I should only do the tail light harness.  Any suggestions for this search.   Thanks
1969 Sportsroof Mustang E'
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline ruger

Re: Wire harness loom.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 11:23:49 AM »
I just got word that only the tail light harness needs braid.  Anyone know what the other harness's should be wrapped with.  The original harness was stripped already.  Thanks
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline specialed

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 12:12:36 PM »
amk sells the wiring black wrapping for the rest of the wiring.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 01:41:56 PM »
No other main harnesses have braiding attached other than the tail-light.  There are some minor harnesses, mostly parts of the hood turn signal harness that plugs into the headlight harness and the other that attaches to the turn signal lamps on the hood itself. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 02:09:28 PM »
Can anyone steer me in the right direction for the correct wiring harness's for a 69 Dearborn fastback?  I have checked with Rhode Island Wiring. They can braid the harness but they think I should only do the tail light harness.  Any suggestions for this search.   Thanks
Let us know how it works out with the braiding. I have heard of places that do it but I have not talked to anyone who has had it done . I think every original non NOS tail light harness  I have worked with regardless of year has had a portion of the braiding decayed.  I would be interested to hear a first hand account of quality of work etc. I am sure others would too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruger

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 02:18:25 PM »
Before I send them the harness I need to find a picture of the correct braid to send with the harness.  They want to put the correct braid on.  Anyone have a picture of the correct harness braid?  Thanks
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 02:25:07 PM »
Marcus did a lot of research on this a while back.  I'm not sure he ever finished his write-up on this but I think he has some of it written if you reach out to him for some help.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9204.msg54033#msg54033
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 02:47:17 PM »
I just got word that only the tail light harness needs braid.  Anyone know what the other harness's should be wrapped with.  The original harness was stripped already.  Thanks

There are a number of smaller looms that either didn't get wrapped or had the insulating loom covers/jackets installed but as others have stated the other major looms with just wrapped with the black plastic wrap

As for the trunk loom here are some 69 originals - Some more worm that others.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruger

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 03:39:46 PM »
Thank you all very much.  I will print these pictures and send them with the harness.   
The front harness, is this wrap a non-adhesive style wrap? 
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 04:12:16 PM »
all vinyl wrap was non adhesive.
5F09C331248

Offline ruger

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 12:03:15 AM »
Alright guys,  I talked to Rhode Island Wire again.  They ask that any tape, braiding, and mounting fixtures be removed and small strips strips of friction tape be put every 6" or so just to keep the wires together, doing so will save me some labor cost.   So I am sending the harness out tomorrow. I think she said 2 weeks turn around time.  I will post some pics of the finished product once I receive it back.   Prices are as follows:  $7.00 for machine setup,  $4.50 per foot for braiding.  I believe I'm just under $90.00 for it all which I am happy about.
Also, just to clarify.  The original braiding was dark green / white stripes. 
I thank you all for the info and the pictures I asked for.  I pulled the harness out after not seeing it for a while and it did have some of the original braid.  I'm sending that in the box for them to compare.   Thanks again. 
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 12:33:31 AM »
Also, just to clarify.  The original braiding was dark green / white stripes. 

That is not what I recall seeing on 69's Maybe someone else has has seen differently
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruger

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 06:58:34 AM »
Trying to post pic.
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline ruger

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 07:57:34 AM »
I am sure that this is the original harness.  The car has sat a long long time and has 45,000 miles.
This for sure green/white much more so in person.  I am new to the concours world so I just wanna go down the right road.
Jeff,  would you deduct points from my car with a green / white braid?
If so how would I prove this is original?  Should I go with a different color braid?   
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline specialed

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 10:57:54 AM »
Jeff s. in u first photo blue 70 (when & where was that car built) as it has 69 type plastic wire holders not 70 rubber coated J-straps & green round push-on clips like i see on 70s?  Back 15 years ago or so i used harnesses unlimited in PA. & have used them several times since then with good results.  Back in mid 90s I visited  ed & eric pease naraggansett in RI. & worked with them making wiring harnesses & cables over the years but am going to send them a wiring harness as rode island wiring is part of narraggansett isnt it?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 11:07:20 AM by specialed »