Author Topic: Fan Clutch Damage  (Read 701 times)

Offline TonyH

Fan Clutch Damage
« on: May 04, 2018, 11:54:28 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but appreciate any assistance you can provide.

In going through the accessories on a San Jose S-Code with a build date of 2/23/68, I found some damage to the fan clutch as circled on the photo.  The question I have is do I need to replace this right away or is it something that can be put off for a while?  It’s actually one of the few parts on the front end that I wasn’t planning to replace so would like to put it off for a while if possible.  Just not sure if the damage is a critical point of failure or if it’s been that way for years.

I appreciate any recommendations...thanks!
Tony

Driven San Jose 2/23/68 8R02S1427XX
Lime Gold GT Fastback

Offline jwc66k

Re: Fan Clutch Damage
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 12:03:24 AM »
If you intend on replacing the clutch, and are not going to show the car, try JB weld to fill the gap.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 12:12:38 AM »
I would replace it. Something spinning at that speed and knowing that it is damaged in any way is not a risk I would take knowingly
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 12:45:52 AM »
I would replace it. Something spinning at that speed and knowing that it is damaged in any way is not a risk I would take knowingly
+1.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline TonyH

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 01:00:37 AM »
Not what I wanted to hear but pretty much what I was thinking.  Brown’s Autobody pretty much the standard?  I saw one of their parts on the site.  Looked pretty legit.
Tony

Driven San Jose 2/23/68 8R02S1427XX
Lime Gold GT Fastback

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 01:06:00 AM »
Not what I wanted to hear but pretty much what I was thinking.  Brown’s Autobody pretty much the standard?  I saw one of their parts on the site.  Looked pretty legit.
He does not sell the type you pictured but the other more common style with the fins all around. I have some NOS lower priced versions that look identical except they do not have the engineering number stamped on the flange. Price depends on if big block or small block. PM me if interested.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby