Author Topic: Quiz  (Read 3236 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Quiz
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 12:55:34 PM »
I will not spoil your fun but will add that they are typically plated /dipped? a olive drab chromate .
Yep, but have also seen them with a more greenish tint.
That is olive drab chromate .

Yes, I would vote PLATED (not dipped) on the Ford Service Parts version I have in my hands. Clearly NOT dipped
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 01:22:39 PM »
Yes, I would agree "Plated" not dipped. All used I have ever found as well as the NOS ones appear "Plated". I was just noting the description on the 1965 Standard & Utility Parts Catalog.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 01:27:30 PM »
The Ford Part number is 356082-S32 Spring Nut. They are listed at the end of 1126 rear brake drum section.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 02:09:19 PM »
The Ford Part number is 356080-S32 Spring Nut. They are listed at the end of 1126 rear brake drum section.

"When E.F. Hutten speaks..." (he may mis-quote a part number though ;)

My box is the same size as Bob' s box but is the later Service box markings.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 02:13:25 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 04:13:26 PM »
Yes, I would vote PLATED (not dipped) on the Ford Service Parts version I have in my hands. Clearly NOT dipped
You apparently don't know how this process is done otherwise you would not make the " Clearly NOT dipped" statement. The reason why I used plating/dipped?was not because I didn't know but because it can be viewed as ether. I know first hand because I do the various chromate process's Gold ,black and olive drab for my own parts.  The part is dipped in a chromate bath . It is like a dye. Unlike typical dyes this chromate needs a surface of zinc to stick to. The silver zinc is electro plated on.  There is not a eletro plating current used in the chromate process as in zinc,chrome ,cadmium etc. I have always used the term plating however. Jeff Speegle  typically refers to the zinc chromate process like the zinc dichromate (gold) as dipped which it is . We have debated about the proper term off line at various times in the past. I used the plating/dipped? as a concession to his point of view.  So you can vote for plated if you want just don't use the  "Clearly NOT dipped" because you would be incorrect. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 04:15:34 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline preaction

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 04:20:04 PM »
They're called "tinnerman nuts".
I have seen Timmerman nut so many times refered to in a shop manual when working on a rear axle assembly in my early years working on these cars  and never seeing anything like this piece so the locking "nut" for the brake backing plate became my Timmerman nut. I still have not seen one in use.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Morsel

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 04:57:11 PM »
I would assume triangle pattern since three are used, correct?

J
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 05:10:37 PM »
Think we're really getting "out in the weeds" on this one ;)

To add to the minutia  - Some dipping is done to coat the outer surface of a piece while some pieces are dipped to dye the exterior surface.

Dipping to coat would/may be visible to the naked eye but to dye may not leave visible signs of build up or drips.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 05:47:22 PM »
You apparently don't know how this process is done otherwise you would not make the " Clearly NOT dipped" statement. The reason why I used plating/dipped?was not because I didn't know but because it can be viewed as ether. I know first hand because I do the various chromate process's Gold ,black and olive drab for my own parts.  The part is dipped in a chromate bath . It is like a dye. Unlike typical dyes this chromate needs a surface of zinc to stick to. The silver zinc is electro plated on.  There is not a eletro plating current used in the chromate process as in zinc,chrome ,cadmium etc. I have always used the term plating however. Jeff Speegle  typically refers to the zinc chromate process like the zinc dichromate (gold) as dipped which it is . We have debated about the proper term off line at various times in the past. I used the plating/dipped? as a concession to his point of view.  So you can vote for plated if you want just don't use the  "Clearly NOT dipped" because you would be incorrect. 

I understand your point, I was saying "Clearly NOT dipped" (in paint or coating). My-bad for confusion, I studied the olive drab process only a month ago so for lack of a better axplaination, I fell into a "lack of explaining myself properly" hole.  I'll crawl back into my "hole" again and butt out.
Richard Urch

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 06:50:34 PM »
I would assume triangle pattern since three are used, correct?

J

I would say that three in a triangular pattern are "typical" (meaning most common and most seen). However, in my 55 plus years of working on Fords, I have seen 1, 2, 3 and even 5 used on a drum. I'll bet there were some with four also, I have just never run across one. My guess is that while the normal was most likely three, the amount used was a function of how many the Assembly Line worker had in his hand at the time. If he had grabbed more than three from the bin, rather than just throwing extras on the floor, or more appropriately putting them back in the bin or saving for the next one down the line, he just installed it (them). Just a guess, but likely.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909