Author Topic: Patch or Replace  (Read 3434 times)

Offline carguytroy

Patch or Replace
« on: August 12, 2018, 08:06:37 PM »
Starting the rust repair on my 1967 S code Convertible. I removed the torque box because it was toast(rusted through) and of course there is more work to do on the floor supports. Should I patch these supports or just replace them? I see there are date codes on the supports up underneath. thats why I'm asking if I should patch them instead of replace them. The rear part of the supports are just surface rusted. They are really solid other than where they attach to the front frame rails. Here's a couple of pics of the drivers side support.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 01:18:12 AM by J_Speegle »
1967 S code Convertible
Build Date 7-1967
San Jose
Vintage Burgundy

1967 C Code Convertible
Build date 7-1967
San Jose
White

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Patch or Replace
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 11:14:09 AM »
Patching what needs to be repaired is ideal, but usually involves more hours to accomplish.  If you have access to a proper spot welder than can replicate the look of the original spot welds, then that would be another option if going with panel replacement instead of patching.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 12:17:48 PM »
Patching what needs to be repaired is ideal, but usually involves more hours to accomplish.  If you have access to a proper spot welder than can replicate the look of the original spot welds, then that would be another option if going with panel replacement instead of patching.
Also with the proper hand stamps the date codes in the sheet metal sections can be replicated .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 02:46:00 PM »
Also with the proper hand stamps the date codes in the sheet metal sections can be replicated .

Or, the originals cut-out and welded in...

Offline carguytroy

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 08:17:13 PM »

What would be the proper size? I see McMaster Carr has several different sizes. And would that be a good place to get some stamps from? I shouldn’t have to use them on anything else but these if I end up replacing them. I have a Dynacorn whole bottom of the car I can source pieces from that came with the car when I purchased it. But I want to do this one right and do not want to replace anything I do not need to. If patching is a good option here then that’s what I will do. The previous owner(s) cut the floors out but did leave the trans tunnel and it’s in good shape. Whole car just has surface rust on it. Very little patching to do.
1967 S code Convertible
Build Date 7-1967
San Jose
Vintage Burgundy

1967 C Code Convertible
Build date 7-1967
San Jose
White

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 12:11:47 AM »
What would be the proper size? I see McMaster Carr has several different sizes. And would that be a good place to get some stamps from? I shouldn’t have to use them on anything else but these if I end up replacing them. I have a Dynacorn whole bottom of the car I can source pieces from that came with the car when I purchased it. But I want to do this one right and do not want to replace anything I do not need to. If patching is a good option here then that’s what I will do. The previous owner(s) cut the floors out but did leave the trans tunnel and it’s in good shape. Whole car just has surface rust on it. Very little patching to do.
Dynacorn floor panels would need to be modified to look like original. You can see the difference if you compare one to the other especially around the drain holes. There are other places but you will see them if you compare close.  Of course you would only stamp a sheet metal piece that had gotten rusted or damaged beyond repair otherwise it is best to cut out and re use the original panel.  There are different sizes of metal stamps and you would simply compare various sizes stamp to the particular metal panel for a comparison of the correct stamp. Sorry no easy button but that IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline preaction

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 02:49:16 PM »
Does something like this need to be brought up at a judged event ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 03:29:21 PM »
Does something like this need to be brought up at a judged event ?

The absence of a date code in a known/visible area would be fair game for judging in MCA/SAAC concours.  It might not add up to a full deduction, depending on what it is, but it surely would be something noted.

Offline carguytroy

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 08:15:07 PM »
Dynacorn floor panels would need to be modified to look like original. You can see the difference if you compare one to the other especially around the drain holes. There are other places but you will see them if you compare close.  Of course you would only stamp a sheet metal piece that had gotten rusted or damaged beyond repair otherwise it is best to cut out and re use the original panel.  There are different sizes of metal stamps and you would simply compare various sizes stamp to the particular metal panel for a comparison of the correct stamp. Sorry no easy button but that IMO.

What would need to be modified other than the teardrop shaped stamp in between the shifter hole and the seat platform? I can see that my original tunnel does not have that. The previous care takers of the car cut out both sides of the floor to the side of the trans tunnel so I have nothing for comparison.
1967 S code Convertible
Build Date 7-1967
San Jose
Vintage Burgundy

1967 C Code Convertible
Build date 7-1967
San Jose
White

Offline carguytroy

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 08:49:30 PM »
Also, the toe boards/bottom of the firewall is cut out also due to rust. I see NPD sells two different kinds. One is a Canadian repro and the other is Taiwan or something. Is one patch panel better than another? They are not completely cut out so I would not need to use the whole panel.
1967 S code Convertible
Build Date 7-1967
San Jose
Vintage Burgundy

1967 C Code Convertible
Build date 7-1967
San Jose
White

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 09:03:42 PM »
What would need to be modified other than the teardrop shaped stamp in between the shifter hole and the seat platform? ...

There was an early and late version of the floor pan used on the assembly line so that difference depends on when your car was built. Being a convertible sort of hides the detail but it will still be there  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline carguytroy

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 11:27:27 PM »
There was an early and late version of the floor pan used on the assembly line so that difference depends on when your car was built. Being a convertible sort of hides the detail but it will still be there  ::)

Car was built in July of 1967. There's no teardrop stamp. Here's a couple of pics. Like I say most of it is gone but the tunnel is still in captivity.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:32:18 PM by carguytroy »
1967 S code Convertible
Build Date 7-1967
San Jose
Vintage Burgundy

1967 C Code Convertible
Build date 7-1967
San Jose
White

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 12:05:24 AM »
Car was built in July of 1967. There's no teardrop stamp. Here's a couple of pics. Like I say most of it is gone but the tunnel is still in captivity.

Probably better try and find some late production 67 floor pans to compare your repro pans to and or take pictures of to refer to . The dynacorn pans are made to be of a more universal appearance across a number of years .That is why you have to make adjustment if you want them to look exact for a given production time period. It depends on your expectations. Many weld them in and forget about it. I would never think of doing that but I and others here are on the other end of the spectrum. It is a matter of making choices.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 12:49:10 AM »
You may consider finding a donor coupe with a nice original floor to cut out, with a build date close to yours from the same assembly plant.  Going to be a lot of work to stitch in new floors onto the tunnel.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 01:43:40 AM »
You may consider finding a donor coupe with a nice original floor to cut out, with a build date close to yours from the same assembly plant.  Going to be a lot of work to stitch in new floors onto the tunnel.

+1 on a couple full floor
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)