Author Topic: How to Re-center distribution block?  (Read 1259 times)

1967 eight barrel

How to Re-center distribution block?
« on: August 14, 2018, 10:56:56 PM »
I bought the tool to center the distribution block. However, when I replaced my leaking re-manned Bendix master the pin wound up off-center. The block is new and I know the pin moves easily.  I do have the tool to keep it centered for bleeding once it's in that position. Any ideas on an easy way to get it re-centered?

-Keith

Offline bazza

Re: How to Re-center distribution block?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 02:44:27 AM »
Two man job ... Have someone build and hold pressure on the pedal while watching the warning light.
Second person cracks open a bleeder on the opposite end, front or rear, of where you think the valve has shifted to, until the light goes out.

One person job, (the only way I've done it, usually work by myself) ... Open a bleeder, cross your fingers, and stab the pedal once. Tighten bleeder.
Its always worked for me, if the block is functioning correctly. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:48:41 AM by bazza »
67 Dearborn S code coupe Built 8/17/67

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 08:28:27 AM »
You know it's my own fault. I forgot to unscrew the switch and screw the tool that keeps the pin centered while I bled the brakes. I got in a hurry. As for the dash warning light. It doesn't function since I replaced the ignition switch. I had a new faulty unit. I can't lock up the brakes, which it should lock up with ease.

-Keith

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 08:52:49 AM »
I bought the tool to center the distribution block. However, when I replaced my leaking re-manned Bendix master the pin wound up off-center. The block is new and I know the pin moves easily.  I do have the tool to keep it centered for bleeding once it's in that position. Any ideas on an easy way to get it re-centered?

-Keith

I have the procedure (scanned from the February 1969 edition of the Ford/Autolite Shop Tips magazine) documented here: https://www.musclecarresearch.com/faq-page#n329

If your warning lamp isn't working you may have to remove the valve, re-center it manually, and bleed again using the tool to keep the pin in place.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:55:10 AM by sah62 »
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline 67gt390fb

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 10:37:41 PM »
connect an ohm meter or powered test light to terminal on distribution block to show you when shuttle is centered
7R02S153xxx      12/15/66