Author Topic: Stripe Kit install tips?  (Read 1333 times)

Online 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
Stripe Kit install tips?
« on: October 27, 2018, 10:28:40 PM »
I did a search and did not find anything on this topic, so maybe it will be a good one.

I am almost ready to apply my 69 Shelby stripe kit. I have an old NOS kit, but fear it is too old so I purchased a newer kit a few years ago. The car was painted 10 months ago, color sanded and buffed. I was going to start the polishing and waxing process but decided I should ask about applying the stripe kit first. Might anyone have any recommendations on surface preparation before applying the stripe? Obviously, a wax and grease remover should be used for best adhesion, but what should be done to the paint prior to the application, if anything? I think the lining up and placement of the decals has been covered here.

I applied a 69 Mach 1 stripe kit back in the 80's. I used a taut string, taped the un-pealed parts in place, made reference lines and marks on tape and stuck them on. It turned out nice, but the kit was old and some small areas of the backing did not want to release from the glue. Hence the reason I have purchased the NEW kit.

I see there is an application liquid that is supposed to allow you to float the decals in place, squeegee out the liquid and then remove the upper layer of paper.

Thanks for your assistance.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline rrenz

Re: Stripe Kit install tips?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 01:06:24 PM »
id be Leary of wax and grease remover on fresh paint. as a professional painter I would buff then maybe dish soap and water to prep for the stripe. maybe even some rubbing alcohol. then wax once your done. The wax will create a barrier between the surface and your stripe.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline tobkob

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 01:26:03 PM »
I see there is an application liquid that is supposed to allow you to float the decals in place, squeegee out the liquid and then remove the upper layer of paper.

Soapy water works well   ;)

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 08:46:21 PM »
On my Spoiler II's that I have put stripes on I measure and put pieces of tape where the stripe goes. I use windex window cleaner as the liquid to get the stripes in the right place. You won't need any wax/grease remover on buffed paint because there are no silicons in buffing compounds. Do your stripes then start your waxing