Author Topic: Holes in dash  (Read 360 times)

Offline birddog

Holes in dash
« on: April 29, 2024, 03:36:18 PM »
I'm trying to do the final welding on the dash. Curious if anyone has pictures of an original dash, especially underneath. The first picture is the possible location of GT fog lights switch. Does that location and size of the hole look correct? I would also like to weld all other holes under the dash. Some are pretty obvious that they were added at a later point. Others I can't tell for sure. Thanks. BTW the car is upside down on a rotisserie.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 03:38:27 PM by birddog »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Holes in dash
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 03:50:20 PM »
The holes in the bottom of the dash are pretty typical. Some are factory while most are added by prior owners when they attached gauges, 8 tracks and such to modify they cars.
We'll see if we can post some unaltered examples to help but you can help out providing when and where your car was built

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 04:03:52 PM »
I'm trying to do the final welding on the dash. Curious if anyone has pictures of an original dash, especially underneath. The first picture is the possible location of GT fog lights switch. Does that location and size of the hole look correct? I would also like to weld all other holes under the dash. Some are pretty obvious that they were added at a later point. Others I can't tell for sure. Thanks. BTW the car is upside down on a rotisserie.
The 1965 and 66 Fog Lamp switch is not under the dash but located on the "slope" about halfway up between the lower bend and the edge of the instrument panel. I'll try to get a picture and dimensions later.
It would be advantageous to you in your questions and other members in answers if you included the year, plant, model and scheduled build date in your posts.
If you do not have a set of Mustang Assembly manuals for your car's year, I urge you to get a set. I've got my right elbow resting on the 65 Mustang Electrical Manual page with the fog lamp wiring.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline birddog

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 04:49:36 PM »
Thanks. It's an early 1965 Fastback San Jose build. It's a non GT, but I may add the GT fog lights.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2024, 05:26:05 PM »
Rough location for the fog lamp switch hole is 1 1/4 inches from the left hand edge of the dash and 4 inches up from the bottom edge. The picture is from a 66 GT Fastback built in San Jose on 18 Oct 65. My 65 GT Fastback has a similar location.
You "may" get dimensional instructions from a fog lamp kit.
Jim
Oops. Wrong picture the first time. The correct picture is there now.
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 11:34:09 PM »
Here are some pictures of the bottom of the dash - Hope thy help

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 01:19:39 AM »
Here are some pictures of the bottom of the dash - Hope thy help

The original question was where to mount the fog lamp switch on a 65 Mustang. To date, that switch was not factory mounded on the bottom of the dash.
Jim
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 03:17:13 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 03:18:31 AM »
The original question was where to mount the fog lamp switch on a 65 Mustang. To date, that switch was not factory mounded on the bottom of the dash.
Jim

As I read the post the GT light switch was one (the first) of two requests \

OP  wrote - "I would also like to weld all other holes under the dash. Some are pretty obvious that they were added at a later point. Others I can't tell for sure."   ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2024, 11:41:22 AM »
As I read the post the GT light switch was one (the first) of two requests \

OP  wrote - "I would also like to weld all other holes under the dash. Some are pretty obvious that they were added at a later point. Others I can't tell for sure."   ;)
It's my one track mind in action.  8)
Jim

Offline birddog

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2024, 10:20:02 PM »
Thanks guys! I'm going to start welding up some holes.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2024, 06:18:01 PM »
Depending on how good a welder you are, consider using "JB Weld" on the smaller holes. I also used Bondo on my dash installing a "radio repair panel". My "welds" of the panel warped the dash.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2024, 06:08:00 PM »

Hammer them flat since they often are irregular from tightening the screw or drill bit into the hole when made

Get a cooper plate to hold on the back side and it should go well
Jeff Speegle