Author Topic: 69 slop gray for bolt on parts  (Read 1720 times)

Offline hunter

69 slop gray for bolt on parts
« on: March 29, 2019, 09:31:22 PM »
I’m reaching out with hope that someone has a solution to my problem
I have a 69 b2 we are restoring and I have been struggling with trying to find the correct paint for the shock tower to fire wall braces ,hood latch support ,front bumper hardware and grill bracket.
NPD has not had in stock dark slop gray since 2017 and is currently on back order. I was fortunate to find their supplier but came to another dead end.
I went to a couple of paint stores (auto) and can’t seem to find a suitable color.
What I currently have almost looks black and without gloss.
Ideas?    Thanks in advance for any help.
Build date 7/8/69

Ron
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 06:35:14 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 slop gray
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 10:24:06 PM »
First welcome to the site and your first post. Hope you find the information and support helpful in your concours related needs

Take a look at 2001 VW  color - Cinza Urano code L17F as a start and add a little blue, black, white or green to get some variations as originally all of those parts would have been shot on different days.  I've used it as a base for some 69 & 70 Dearborn restorations and it provides a somewhat dark (but not very dark) grey start. My April Dearborn car had almost (very dark grey) black spring covers and battery tray though hood latch and fender supports was a bit lighter

Semo use to offer a slop gray also but its been a long time since I used it or even looked at the site for it.

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 11:08:51 PM »
This is the color formulation for Slop Grey I had made up and it comes out pretty well. The paint system I am using it in is an industrial enamel and comes out reasonably glossy but it looks nice once dried and cured. This can be a starting point and you can adjust it to what you want and it is an Australian color system but the tinters used are pretty much universal.
Brad

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 11:28:33 PM »
If you do not have a color spot to match up with you are in luck because there is a very wide range of color shade it could possibly be given it was a mixed up left over paint batch . It varied from batch to batch, day to day. One of the common aspects is that gray was a very consistent part of the mix.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline hunter

Re: 69 slop gray for bolt on parts
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 07:43:42 PM »
Thank you Jeff,Brad,and Bob
My son is at the paint shop now and he used Jeff’s color, thought it looked good also grabbed a few ounces of various toners
Brad I’m sorry I didn’t see your post until now. I really appreciate the suggestion hopefully it will help someone in the future
Bob we do have all the original parts and being that the car was in the garage for 45 of the last 50 years just sitting there you can actually see the different color tones under a bright light. Making this part of the project even harder to pull the trigger on.

Hope to see some of you in Kansas at MCA nationals.

Ron
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 06:35:24 PM by J_Speegle »