Author Topic: 289 p/s mounting bracket bolt finish  (Read 1214 times)

Offline bhoulis

• 67 GT350
289 p/s mounting bracket bolt finish
« on: August 22, 2018, 08:08:50 PM »
Should the 2 bolts that mount the black power steering plate to the water pump have blue engine paint on them or be their original finish? Thanks. Brian

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: 289 p/s mounting bracket bolt finish
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 09:28:40 PM »
From these pics:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17909.0
they aren't painted blue.

Perhaps the nut/bolt spreadheet can help?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 12:02:00 AM »
Should the 2 bolts that mount the black power steering plate to the water pump have blue engine paint on them or be their original finish? Thanks. Brian
The bolts holding the waterpump on were painted blue with the engine . The powersteering bracket having been added later will have those painted bolts (including wrench marks) holding the powersteering bracket on.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bhoulis

• 67 GT350
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 12:38:12 AM »
Thanks Bob. Sort of what I was expecting to hear. Chassis manual pages for power steering say to remove the two 354033-s washers when installing the plate.
Brian

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 07:30:58 PM »
That's a bit surprising considering how they look in pictures. I guess once chipped the paint really begins to fall off. I should consult the Osborn manuals more often.

I've looked and didn't find anything about how accessories are added to the engines at the assembly plants. I'll look into the various assembly plant picture threads.
Bill

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 08:25:41 PM »
I've looked and didn't find anything about how accessories are added to the engines at the assembly plants. I'll look into the various assembly plant picture threads.
The Engine Accessory Manuals shows that. If you're looking at a step by step procedure, that would be handled by "experience". The "first item" was usually preformed by manufacturing engineers with the assembly line workers watching. It was probably documented in a separate set of manuals (and then those sat on a shelf).
I should consult the Osborn manuals more often.
It's the best we've got, so far.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 11:06:55 PM »
"Blue prints" were written and supplied to the engine plants outline pretty much everything connected to how the engines were built, assembled, painted .... until they were ready to ship. Accessories were added at the car assembly plants so we could expect to see some slight differences in some details but there is not allot of wiggle or possibility of varying the process much
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 05:27:47 AM »
On a 67 289, certain water pump mounting bolts are replaced with the longer, accessory mounting bolts (and spacers, notably Thermactor and Air Conditioning Compressor mounting bolts). Dealer installed A/C would be no exception. I believe any of the "short water pump bolts", the bolts that do not use spacers, are re-used and should have signs of paint on them and signs or a wrench mark as also stated previously.

As Jim stated, the best path to follow would be using the Engine Assembly manuals, note the differences (bolts/spacers) for the engine accessory mounting option list for your build's details, and follow a common sense approach from there.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 02:53:05 PM »
"Blue prints" were written and supplied to the engine plants outline pretty much everything connected to how the engines were built, assembled, painted .... until they were ready to ship. Accessories were added at the car assembly plants so we could expect to see some slight differences in some details but there is not allot of wiggle or possibility of varying the process much
My bold. And that's the key here, isn't it?
The engine plant shipped out "base engines". For a 67 289 2v, for instance, that would include (but not be limited to) a 289 2v automatic, a 289 2v stick shift, a 289 2v stick shift T/E and so one. The engine plant couldn't produce too many variations in base engines or the system becomes too unwieldy and expensive.
These engines were shipped without fuel pumps and without any accessories, usually on the nose of the engine. Some areas of the country call this the "front dress."

I'm imagining an assembly plant engine accessory build line where engines are arranged in the same order as the assembly line. Build sheets are consulted and options added to the engines. Some of the options could use original bolts/nuts/washers and, when required, new hardware is used.

It's tough, without your help, to determine which bolts/nuts/washers are re-used and when new bolts/nuts/washers are required.
Bill

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 04:12:44 PM »
If I may tune in here...
In attachment 2 pictures of the p/s mounting bracket with all the bolts which came out of my car.
I have placed the hardware at the corresponding corners of the bracket, for being as clear as possible...
When I read and trying to understand previous comments correctly, the 2 bolts at the left side of the bracket must be painted engine blue?
If so, then the washer also (top left)?
I have looked and searched for the correct finish of the other bolts here at the site and also the spread sheet.
If I am not mistaken it is all indicated with finish 'S'...
So for me, as a none expert, it is difficult to determine the correct finish off all the other bolts, washer, nut and thick spacer.
Any help is kindly appreciated!!!
Kind regards,

Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 05:13:45 PM »
If I may tune in here...
In attachment 2 pictures of the p/s mounting bracket with all the bolts which came out of my car.
I have placed the hardware at the corresponding corners of the bracket, for being as clear as possible...
When I read and trying to understand previous comments correctly, the 2 bolts at the left side of the bracket must be painted engine blue?
If so, then the washer also (top left)?
I have looked and searched for the correct finish of the other bolts here at the site and also the spread sheet.
If I am not mistaken it is all indicated with finish 'S'...
So for me, as a none expert, it is difficult to determine the correct finish off all the other bolts, washer, nut and thick spacer.

Any help is kindly appreciated!!!
Kind regards,

Jeroen
The thick spacer bare steel,long stud is zinc phosphate.The nut on stud is zinc silver . The short flange head bolts are zinc phosphate.The PS aluminum bracket is from a Ford Thompson teal blue painted pump.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 06:13:14 PM »
Thank you very much Bob!!!
Kind regards,

Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967