Author Topic: 1967 Deluxe door panel aluminum inserts refinishing  (Read 1228 times)

Offline kwemj 67

1967 Deluxe door panel aluminum inserts refinishing
« on: September 29, 2019, 06:29:48 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had a go at restoring the aluminum insert panels on the doors. Mine are original and scratched but not dented.
7R03S157303 GTA

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 Deluxe door panel aluminum inserts refinishing
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 06:59:51 PM »
Tried many years ago and it was ok for a driver but did not look like originals. Did do a similar finish on one modified car and the bucket seat hard backs and the dash I built as well as a 67 Mustang application

Maybe with a few more test panels, effort and experimenting its might be successful.

Lets see how many have tried it
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 07:14:50 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had a go at restoring the aluminum insert panels on the doors. Mine are original and scratched but not dented.
Many have tried over the years . I suppose it depends on your expectations . I have seen many attempts and haven't seen a refinished panel yet that looks even near as good as original did when they were new. Also unless you refinish the dash cluster and dash panels they will not match each other. Many of us had higher expectations then what can be achieved by refinishing the panel DIY given the superior reproductions available now that look much closer to the original panels when they were new.FYI the original were anodized so in refinishing you have to strip that off before refinishing. Matching the original brush finish is very difficult to do . To have the panels anodized is hard enough but for them to look right they have to be "Brite Dip Anodized " which is more difficult to find someone that can do that special process and also more expensive.Burton makes the best reproductions of the door panels. I am not sure if NPD handle that vendor or not.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline kwemj 67

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 11:33:54 PM »
I wondered about this finish... I thought with maybe 1200 wet sanding in same direction...but if there is a really good alternative considering really all my dash should be redone and have the same match. You mentioned Burton as a company for the door panels, what about the rest of the dash, same match and over originals?
7R03S157303 GTA

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 12:17:29 AM »
http://www.burtonantiqueautoparts.com/     .They are the guys that make the best 67 deluxe brush trim panels. They are the only ones that make the door panels exact with the fold over tabs . They make the dash cluster with the correct silk screen instead of a sticker. Even some NOS Ford dash clusters are different then assemblyline.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 12:54:08 AM »
Here is our 67 GTA that we used the Burton panels in. I was very pleased with them.

Offline kwemj 67

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 07:37:52 PM »
Thank you Bob, I will check them out.
 And the panels look great on your convertible. Love the saddle interior!
7R03S157303 GTA