Author Topic: Hurst shift linkage  (Read 1837 times)

Offline automotive_hoarder

Hurst shift linkage
« on: November 14, 2019, 01:04:17 PM »
Hello, my first post on this forum as I have just started to have my 67 S-code fastback restored.

I am sure this has already been discussed but can anyone advise the correct finish for the linkage on a Hurst shifter, particularly the rods? ( If that is their correct name?!)

Thanks in advance!
67 S Code Fastback GT
Dearborn built with air con.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Hurst shift linkage
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 01:23:39 PM »
welcome to the board......now according to our factory build focus here are you 100% sure that a hurst shifter is factory correct for your car??
5F09C331248

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 01:25:41 PM »
Hi Welcome.

Prior to 1970, Ford did not offer Hurst shift linkages. Someone will come along and give the definitive answer for Ford rods.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline preaction

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 03:06:21 PM »
Ford rods are phosphate and oil the square levers on the end are also if you search P&O all of the  are the details are covered.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 04:36:00 PM »
First welcome to the site. Hope you find the support and information related to factory original restorations here on the site for your project(s)

Hello, my first post on this forum as I have just started to have my 67 S-code fastback restored.

I am sure this has already been discussed but can anyone advise the correct finish for the linkage on a Hurst shifter, particularly the rods? ( If that is their correct name?!)

No we really have not discussed the "correct" finish of Hurst linkage and rods for your application. As mentioned its not factory so it would not fit the focus here.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 07:13:06 PM »
It is my understanding that the Hurst shifters factory installed on Mustangs use the Ford arms to the transmission, a Ford housing and that was mated up to a Hurst arm. It was mostly for show.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 07:39:57 PM »
It is my understanding that the Hurst shifters factory installed on Mustangs use the Ford arms to the transmission, a Ford housing and that was mated up to a Hurst arm. It was mostly for show.
Jim

Not on the ones I have pictures of or have owned. Shifter is Hurst and I don't know any easy way to attach a Hurst arm to a Ford box.

In 70 the rods as well as the lock out do carry ford numbers on the arms

Hurst upper and Ford lower - Notice how different the handle attachment configuration/pad is

Believe we've responded to the original question and are now getting a bit off thread and onto other years.