Author Topic: Engine ID stickers - anyone have an original with plant code "D"?  (Read 4023 times)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: Engine ID stickers - anyone have an original with plant code "D"?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 08:48:47 AM »
Sorry about being late to the dance but I have long suspected that the L on the reproduction engine tags was incorrect. Lima plant as far as I know started producing the 385 series motors in 68 and never produced the FE motors. Although I have seen many 68FE remnants of paper tags none have ever been legible in that area. I do have this off of 69 and clearly you can see the D in the corner on the CJ engine
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0U9v3I5_Xw6xvS8MjepkfKC8Q
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline JohnB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 10:01:28 AM »
Sorry about being late to the dance but I have long suspected that the L on the reproduction engine tags was incorrect. Lima plant as far as I know started producing the 385 series motors in 68 and never produced the FE motors. Although I have seen many 68FE remnants of paper tags none have ever been legible in that area. I do have this off of 69 and clearly you can see the D in the corner on the CJ engine
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0U9v3I5_Xw6xvS8MjepkfKC8Q

Looks like 420T.

Would have been nice to know what all the suffixes means.

Do know that there are differences between auto/4 speed with and without AC, but think there is more than that!?

Suffixes and codes from the 428 CJ/SCJ here; https://www.428cobrajet.org/id-engine-codes

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 11:00:11 AM »
I used your idea.

I've used a package tape dispenser most of the time as shown in the thread about reproducing these stickers here on the site. Before that saw blades.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 03:28:46 PM »

Think I've got pictures and captions of the Lima plant from the 50's building at least 6 cylinder engines have to revisit

Can't get your picture link to work. If you want send it to me again email and I'll post it if you like. Would like to see since I've not been able to find a paper tag with a D

Looks like 420T.

Do know that there are differences between auto/4 speed with and without AC, but think there is more than that!?

Yes different coding for different engines since they were assembled differently at the engine plant. You would need to focus (would make the task easier) on a particular year and engine type. Some years you would have auto and manual, with Thermactor, with IMCO, ...........
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 06:19:42 PM »
Here is Tim's picture. It set off the virus software on my computer so I had to use my phone to save it first.

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 07:34:16 PM »
Looks like 420T.

Suffixes and codes from the 428 CJ/SCJ here; https://www.428cobrajet.org/id-engine-codes
The suffixes and prefixes are explained in Marti's tag book. The suffix refers to the change level and what it starts off as is a function of the model year. For 69 it starts as S and in 70 it starts as A.
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline specialed

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2020, 08:47:27 PM »
 I recently found my dearborn  420t   cj  paper tag and sent info to cindy walden (dave wife) as she and her sons are running ECS and they are going to make the tag with the D like it should be.  I think dave  thought all big blocks were built in Lima after looking at boss 429 tags that are more visable. The  lima ohio plant built all 429 types of engine but not FEs.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 10:12:31 PM »
About damn time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2020, 12:00:37 AM »
Thanks for making the effort Ed
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialed

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2020, 12:52:45 AM »
Yes i had talked to dave years ago about changing fe tags from L to D  but he already had a bunch made up and was going to get it done then he started having health problems.  Not enought fe guys seem to care about having this tag corrected since its hidden behind smog pump unlike b2 and b9s and other size engines where u see the whole tag.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2020, 09:40:15 AM »
Last year I was trying to get them to make the tags properly and I got a lot of pushback from them. A truly embarrassing (for them) set of emails.

Yes i had talked to dave years ago about changing fe tags from L to D  but he already had a bunch made up and was going to get it done then he started having health problems.  Not enought fe guys seem to care about having this tag corrected since its hidden behind smog pump unlike b2 and b9s and other size engines where u see the whole tag.