Author Topic: Dipstick for what application?  (Read 872 times)

Offline gjz30075

Dipstick for what application?
« on: February 21, 2020, 07:46:21 PM »
Pictured is a dipstick that came out of my 66 GT350,  April/May build.    It has a rounded handle and no engineering number
anywhere.   The only identifier that shows it's oem is the FoMoCo in an oval.     I think the car should have the flat handle type
of dipstick.    Can anyone confirm one or the other?
Greg Z

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Dipstick for what application?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 10:36:43 PM »
Pictured is a dipstick that came out of my 66 GT350,  April/May build.    It has a rounded handle and no engineering number
anywhere.   The only identifier that shows it's oem is the FoMoCo in an oval.     I think the car should have the flat handle type
of dipstick.    Can anyone confirm one or the other?
Confirmation given that the typical handle was the flat style on the 66 GT350.The round handle is most likely a replacement by a PO IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 06:12:59 AM »
Thanks Bob.
Greg Z

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 01:22:20 PM »
I've seen the dip-stick used on 65's.  There are period photos that show it.  It was probably an engineering change, most likely cheaper to make the flat ones or a design 'improvement'.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 01:32:52 PM »
Interesting.     Although I've changed it over to the flat style handle,  this round style one is keeper because it's been in the
car since, at least, 1988.   It has an inscription that reads: "Restoration by Gordon Mccall 8/88 for Larry Commeree"  (a former
owner).  A neat touch.
Thanks
Greg Z