Author Topic: Interest in later generation cars?  (Read 2761 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Interest in later generation cars?
« on: December 20, 2010, 07:18:35 PM »
Is the low participation of the 4th/5th generation forums here a sign of low interest in the authenticity of those cars?  We're going on our 2nd year with the concours forum and there are only a total on 9 post with around 50 replies.

I keep hearing from a select few in MCA of how important it is to gather authenticity details for these cars and while I agree that it is in the best interest of MCA to do that, I can't help but think that there just aren't many folks that care.

Curious what others think about this?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Sunlitgold68

Re: Interest in later generation cars?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
My 1998 SVT Cobra is still too new for me to have much interest in MCA type details. Maybe one day but it sure seems like a stretch, especially compared to the 68 coupe.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 08:07:31 PM »
i think a lot of late model folks are more interested in modifying and driving their cars for now. i just hope that they are keeping the original parts that are being removed. i have a 2007 coupe that is absolutely bone stock and will remain that way. however my 2006 convertible does have a couple of minor changes. that one i drive. just my .02 for tonite.
5F09C331248

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 10:14:44 PM »
I have a 2009 (45th anniversary) v6 coupe that is my daily driver and I photo documented some of the markings and tags found on the car before really driving it.  I haven't had a chance yet to crawl underneath and take some pics there but it only has 27k miles on it now.  I did change out the grill to add fog lights, put the leather GT steering wheel, and put on an 8 inch antenna on the car.  But I did keep all the original parts as well.  I do see that in the future these cars will probably be going through the same thing as the 60's and 70's cars with people restoring them.  I don't see it happening for awhile now, maybe 20 years??  Out of curiosity are all the new Mustangs built at the same plant?  Also since most of the cars today are mostly built by machine, will there be debates on variations like there are today with the 60's?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 10:41:45 PM »
Unless you consider warranty recall work restoration, there is not much to discuss on 5th generation? ;) If you live in Wisconsin snow tires and a bag of sand in the trunk for winter driving is a hot topic.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 10:51:19 PM »
Out of curiosity are all the new Mustangs built at the same plant?  Also since most of the cars today are mostly built by machine, will there be debates on variations like there are today with the 60's?

Yes, thankfully they have been built at one plant during an assembly year for quite some time now.  Before the '05 model, they were built at Dearborn, probably since the 80's.  The new '05 design moved production to Flat Rock, MI where it remains today.

Appreciate the replies so far and something I suspected seems to possibly be true...  The folks that have any interest in all at keeping their newer car original usually had an older model that they restored and used to show.

I've been trying to get a contact at Ford to help with the production details for the later cars.  I would have to guess that most everything from the 80's to present is still around.  The newer stuff is probably on DVD's.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline sparky65

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 12:48:37 AM »
I honestly think it would be quite a challenge to restore these cars.  Its hard enough for the average person to do what should be simple repairs now.  But to answer your question there isn't much interest because no one is trying to recreate those details now.  At the most they may be trying to preserve details but that doesn't require lots of research so not many questions are asked.  I have thought about snapping a bunch of pictures of my 09 but there isn't much incentive right now so I keep putting it off.  I already tossed the original oil filter so I am not off to a good start, but I have noticed that those that have the space and don't need to sell there original parts usually try to store them away.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 09:21:02 AM »
I have to wonder if the later generation (of people) will be restoring their 2011 GT 500s in 45 years...........(I'll be 98 years old then and probably won't care)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 09:52:56 AM »
I AM A MUSTANG ENTHISIAST!
When the new Shelbys came out, I considered one since I had just sold my helicopter and the money was burning a hole in my pocket.  I decided to payoff my house.

I love the old Georgia State Patrol Trooper Mustangs.  I almost bought a 1979 pace car, new.

I still have a problem with Mustangs, other than 65 through 72, being judged at shows, and taking up space in magazines that are targeted to the Classic Mustang Hobby.  I can't explain it... it just doesn't FEEL right.

I think most folks who hover around on forums like this, are in the same mindset as me. 
It is not proper to exclude any segment of the Mustang hobby, but there just won't be much interest there, IMHO.

66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 10:13:42 AM »
I believe the interest is not there because it is TOO easy. There is no challenge at this point. People like challenges, the hunt of finding the right parts and everything that goes with a restoration. Anybody can buy a new Mustang and just store it away or keep every part that is swapped out in the garage.

Until it becomes more of a challenge, I don't see the interest increasing anytime soon.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:17:43 AM by Sunlitgold68 »
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline chalkys_explorer

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 08:00:48 PM »

Personally, I think it's a cyclical thing. Most of the time it's a 15-20 year cycle.  To most people the 95-98's are the red headed stepchildren and the '99 and ups are too new. Unless it's a Cobra or a Saleen they don't have the mystique yet, they're just used cars. Look how long it has taken for the Fox Mustangs to gain a little recognition and vendor support.
84 1C MA 3EF132078 .....amongst others

Offline SCJSTU

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 08:35:28 PM »
I have an 04 Mach 1 bone stock because its a low prod run but my 2006 GT is highly modded like most nowadays..

there are so many aftermarket parts for these now that was not offered back in the 60/70's so everyone mods them

I think the under 40 crowd for the most part enjoys beating on the late models ;D ;D ;D ;D

and I am not even in that group....
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible  4spd-AC built 1-27-69
1967 Mustang S-Code 4-speed built Jan 1967 non therm
1956 Ford F100 Big Window 392 Hemi

1961 Falcon 2 Door Station Wagon 302V8
2004 Mach 1 Azure Blue