Author Topic: Instrument Panel Blue Light Filters  (Read 767 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

Instrument Panel Blue Light Filters
« on: April 02, 2020, 02:42:45 PM »
I am in the process of restoring my instrument cluster and would like to know if the original factory blue light filters where a fuzzy blue to start with or did they go that way over time. The SD repro's are a darker clear blue color and would like to know whether the new SD pieces should be used or the 50 year old originals?
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
Re: Instrument Panel Blue Light Filters
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 10:26:38 PM »
Not sure how much of a difference it will make. The incandescent T10 bulbs put out a yellow(ish) light and the blue lenses turn the light shade of green. If you change to LED's, you'll need light green filters to try to keep the original look. Or, you can use green LED's, but again, not sure that they would look the same as the original.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 03:03:07 PM »
Thank you for the input, I really can not remember what the original dash lighting looked like, never drove the car at night in the 30 years I have owned it, as it was always mainly in storage waiting for this restoration. I will be using new Sylvania 194 bulbs but not sure whether I should use the new clear blue SD filters or my original hazy blue originals. I am thinking I should go with the newer blue filters from SD, but would like more input from others having gone through this process. BTW I like the detailed documentation on your car.

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 06:26:29 PM »
I tried RED led's w/o defusers but found the colored LEDS ran a bit hotter than the white ones, so went with super bright white LED's and red defusers. Yea, red is the wrong color. :-p

I also just updated my gallery with about 1k previously unpublished photos and it's more mobile friendly as well.

With RED led's

With white leds and red defusers

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 01:43:42 PM by 69GT350H »
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 11:11:06 PM »
On my 67 Shelby I used the Drake blue filters with white LEDs.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 11:30:48 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 11:06:16 AM »
The old filters age with the heat of the light bulbs and go hazy, so replace them with newer ones and they'll make your dash lights much brighter.
Brad

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 06:38:45 PM »
They weren't clear when new like the Drake lenses. The LEDs are as much help as the lens. I replaced both. If you're building a trailer queen then the incandescent 1895 is fine, if you actually drive your vehicle the LED is the way to go. It also places less load on 50-year-old electric wire.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 07:13:24 PM »
Well my intent is not to build a trailer queen even though all that look at the build tell me I should not and will never drive this car, but I am going to drive it, but pretty sure not at night.
So I am guessing the factory dash lights lite up as a soft blue and I would like to maintain that look. I don't see a big difference between the 50 year old and the new SD dark blue except the light is softer in the 50 year old filter. In the attached pics I have used a new Sylvania 194 and covered it with the two different filters, would probably be different in the housing but that is a little bit harder to do.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 07:22:20 PM »
The originals do mute the brightness, not the color.  I drive my 67 GT500 at night....   If you show it you'll be in the dark at some point.   The transition is night and day.  You're there, it's apart. Great time to do it.   I had forgotten the change to the 194 happened in 69.