Author Topic: 67 to 73 Assembly line Shock color  (Read 3865 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 to 73 Assembly line Shock color
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2020, 05:50:50 PM »
These were like his other shocks, NOS but shelf worn from rough handling. They has sort of an odd steel circle with holes in it at the top of the shaft, I did not know what the purpose of the circle was.

I suspect some Shelby guy was the buyer eventually. Always puzzled me because I had bought some Striders new from an auto part store in the mid - 1970's and these were quite different.

There are more that four different versions (over time) of the Striders. Have collected pictures or physical examples of most of them as I've run across them over the years
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 to 73 Assembly line Shock color
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2020, 06:57:24 PM »
These were like his other shocks, NOS but shelf worn from rough handling. They has sort of an odd steel circle with holes in it at the top of the shaft, I did not know what the purpose of the circle was.

I suspect some Shelby guy was the buyer eventually. Always puzzled me because I had bought some Striders new from an auto part store in the mid - 1970's and these were quite different.
Royce,from my reply #13 ,"All of the adjustable front shocks used on 66-70 Shelby's had a distinct looking disc ring under the shock head used for indication of the adjustment of firmness . " As Jeff mentioned the striders changed over time . Some had the adjustor ring with the holes others had a smaller ring with just a notch used as a adjustment indicator . The in the know Shelby crowd wanted the ones with the holes like the factory Shelby shocks had . Myself and others went to the trouble of making up the ring with the holes to modify the later Strader front shock for a closer original look on the engine compartment side.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby