Author Topic: Power steering cooler paint  (Read 1866 times)

Offline 69supercj

Power steering cooler paint
« on: September 20, 2020, 03:39:02 PM »
I've got a cooler from a '67 Shelby and I'd like to restore it. Its in great shape already other then the paint is bad. I've bead blasted it and it looks like it might have been dipped in the semi-gloss black, or whomever painted it really laid it on thick to the point that it ran and collected in the lower parts/areas. So were these in fact shot with a spray gun or possibly dipped. Coverage would most likely be much better if dipped. Thanks for any info!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Power steering cooler paint
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 05:58:02 PM »
I've got a cooler from a '67 Shelby and I'd like to restore it. Its in great shape already other then the paint is bad. I've bead blasted it and it looks like it might have been dipped in the semi-gloss black, or whomever painted it really laid it on thick to the point that it ran and collected in the lower parts/areas. So were these in fact shot with a spray gun or possibly dipped. Coverage would most likely be much better if dipped. Thanks for any info!
The units marked C6AA were the ones used in the 67/68 Shelby. Yes they were dipped. The semigloss black (more on the dull side of the spectrum) paint was extremely thinned out and covered just enough to seal the metal so that it would not hinder the cooling of the fins.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 69supercj

Re: Power steering cooler paint
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 10:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the info Bob!